Fogging chickens with Oxine for URI

TanyaFL

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 10, 2010
Lakeland
Okay, I need help guys...and I just know you will wonderful people will have the answers I need.

I have never had to actually fog my flock for illness before...if I use the 6.5 oz oxine (unactivated) to a gallon of water ratio to help treat upper respiratory infection, how long (as in minutes) should I fog them? I know it can take 3x a day for up to 10 days, but for what duration per fogging?

If it matters to anyone, I have a roo and 3 hens that I see/hear symptoms (I have been gone from my flock for a couple months, long story, so I just became aware upon my return and hence the spread) but I have a total of 19 chickens whom all have been together the entire time. I am using a fogmaster jr.

ETA: My coop is about 275(ish) sq ft but I can put them in a smaller space for direct treatment if needed.

Thanks in advance,
Tanya

Last edited:
need to check a reference and BRB

Well I havent found much. I tried to copy the article from shagbarkbantams but somehow couldnt. But it sound like you know all that is in that anyway. Try the search bottom at the top of BYC and just put oxine fro keyword and then in topic subject only there are quite a few articles on BYC. I am thinking just practically so all the chickens have a good strong breathe of it for 10 minutes and all the air in the coop is filled with oxine vapor. For avporizer I would do 30 min. 1 or 2 X a day. I am not familiar with the fogger.If it is a stronger flow than maybe ten minutes 1-2 x a day. Just kinda practically thinking about how it works. And you said you are spritzing their faces with it 3X a day?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=239043

Last edited:
barnie.gif
My brain is turning to mush. Yeah just vaporize/ fog till all air is saturated and all birds have been breathing a good dose for 10 minutes. This depends on your device.
smile.png
AND THATS my final answer. Time to get off here and do something else.

...o gee I cant stop mysel f
smile.png
..or call Dr Peter Brown at FirstStateVet

Last edited:
LOL, I could not find much on it either...surprisingly!

You would think there would be loads of info...considering how many things you can treat with it and how safe it is when left unactivated. (It was the usage in the organic poultry industry and use for human drinking water that first sold me on the stuff, lol.) With all the people giving their stories of the "bird near death saved by oxine" I have seen...I am just baffled that I could not find much on how many minutes they fogged or at least an amount they used per bird...anything to give me a clue.

So, thanks for a clue! LOL. Its funny, I was mortified when I first realized they were sick...but now I feel pretty relaxed knowing I will have a fresh container of oxine in hand any time now...thanks to Eric at Pampered Pullets Farm.

He rushed it right into the mail for me, super nice guy! Seems he is a BYC member too. (though I did not realize that when I ordered from him, I found him on ebay and he happened to be the closest shipper to me so I figured that would get here fastest) So Eric, if you come across this thread...THANKS AGAIN!!! To everyone else who might read this...if you have a chicken sick with almost anything, just google oxine ah, you will be amazed at its safety (when used unactivated) and all it can do...it might just be the silver bullet you have been looking for. Then go grab a bottle from Eric.
wink.png

Tanya

Last edited:
Are there any updates to this question? I have one really sick bird, so this might not work in time, and it looks like another needs treatment, so I'm just doing the whole flock of 15. I also used the Fogmaster Jr. which holds a quart of liquid and put it in faces last and air last night until it was empty. That took at least 30 minutes and maybe 45. It doesn't make a fog exactly, but a mist does come out. I know I need to do this some more, but I want to hear the success stories on the how. With just a minute in the face, they get pretty damp and really want to turn away from the fogger.

Back
Top Bottom