1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Fogging with Oxine

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by shinyrust01, May 26, 2011.

1. shinyrust01

shinyrust01 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2011
    My question is this, I have a fogger I bought a few years ago, I use it occasionally to fog for mosquitos, anyway my question is, will running a few tanks of water through it make it safe to use to fog my chickens with oxine? has anyone else used this technique? What would you do?
    Thanks!

2. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

I think I would run some bleach throught it first. Do it several times real strong.

3. shinyrust01

Feb 8, 2011
    I was thinking maybe of running bleach through it, think that's what I'll do, thanks!

4. Anianna

Anianna Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    N/E of Richmond, VA
    Oxine, from what I understand, works just as well at bleach and is safer to use than bleach, so why would you use bleach when you can use the oxine? Oxine is a disinfectant.

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:What were you using to fog mosquitos with? Malathion? Sevin? Some other chemical? If so, I would definitely flush it out quite a few times with water and cycle a round or two of oxine or bleach in it before fogging your chickens.

6. shinyrust01

Feb 8, 2011
    it's a black flag fogger and i used the stuff that came with it, not sure whats in it but it does work on mosquitos, yea, i figured i would need to flush it, the oxine is much more expensive than bleach, so maybe a few times with water & bleach, then oxine. thanks!

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Oh and [​IMG]

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:I changed my opinion about using it as a fogger after finding out what the active ingredient in black flag fogger is: 2% resmethrin. I recommend you DONT use it as a fogger on your chickens. I believe there still might a possibility of leftover residue in the fogger, even after flushing, no need to risk it. You can buy a plastic spray bottle at kmart or walmart in the garden section and adjust it to a fine mist spray, then spray the mist over their heads so that they breathe it in, it will achieve the same effect.
    Here's a link about resmethrin:
    http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/ResTech.pdf

Last edited: May 26, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  9. shinyrust01

Feb 8, 2011
    I can't believe this, I just pulled up home depot to find out how much a new fogger would be, was telling my friend I didn't feel comfortable that I could get all the residue out of the fogger, you just confirmed what I had just decided, to buy a new fogger to only use on the chickens. Thanks for the info!

10. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Phew! I was hoping you hadnt used it yet. Great news!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by