FOGHORN LEGHORN~ "Lookit here son, I say, I say son, did ya see that hawk after those hens? ....

Sally sometimes you are better off not knowing whats in your back yard...
hide.gif

http://ibc.lynxeds.com/video/broad-winged-hawk-buteo-platypterus/large-group-flying-migration
Oh my word! and I thought my vid of the buzzards was bad enough!

Every year about this time i see the signs go up for lost cats and small dogs. I don't live in the country really, just an area near the freeway corridor where the towns are. Anyway 4 years ago the Bald eagles started moving down and have taken residence here and then the signs go up. Many folks from the city move here thinking about having a few chickens and other livestock and let their cats and dogs run free.....not realizing, the eagles love them, so do coyotes,cougars,bobcats and owls....I have even lost a turkey from a raccoon trying to pull it thru a chain link fence. luckily my birds are too big for the hawks....I also don't have white birds except for the turkeys that i will be rehoming. White is an instant attraction. Darker birds fair better. in an area not too far from me the county had to take down an old dangerous tree that had been nested by eagles, they found lots of doggie and kitty collars in the nest......

Every year about this time i see the signs go up for lost cats and small dogs. I don't live in the country really, just an area near the freeway corridor where the towns are. Anyway 4 years ago the Bald eagles started moving down and have taken residence here and then the signs go up. Many folks from the city move here thinking about having a few chickens and other livestock and let their cats and dogs run free.....not realizing, the eagles love them, so do coyotes,cougars,bobcats and owls....I have even lnk ost a turkey from a raccoon trying to pull it thru a chain link fence. lucww kily my birds are too big for the hawks....I also don't have white birds except for the turkeys that i will be rehoming. White is an instant attraction. Darker birds fair better. in an area not too far from me the county had to take down an old dangerous tree that had been nested by eagles, they found lots of doggie and kitty collars in the nest......
OH WOw! Glad there not many here! awww

As the above video shows there is very little that is not on the Bald Eagle's menu, including Jaws.
WARNING: Adult language.

Not just little fu-fu dogs are vulnerable to eagle attacks either. Even gray wolves are not immune from the attention of eagles.
Watch between minute 5:30 and 6:15 on the above video and you will see the trouble that you can get into when you don't watch your back.

That first eagle does an impressive butterfly.

Can't help but wonder if hunting with eagles is great idea if they are using pelts. Must be full of holes.

Round here it's mostly red tail hawks with the intermittent great horned owl, or other owl. Maybe the fact that there is a small aircraft airport nearby makes a difference. No eagles, though there is a nest along the CT river. Right in the middle of Hartford. Think the river is relatively clean for their sake.

I also don't have white birds except for the turkeys that i will be rehoming. White is an instant attraction. Darker birds fair better. in an area not too far from me the county had to take down an old dangerous tree that had been nested by eagles, they found lots of doggie and kitty collars in the nest......
I'm the same way with darker birds. I only have one white leghorn right now, the rest of my birds are darker in colour. I find that has seemed to help, especially in through the summer and fall when all the leaves are out and they can hide under trees pretty easily...

Im thinking that one of those things that sprays water at any movement would be fun with hawks trying to land on or near a coop.
I had a lady tell me all her bantams got killed by cats.Bob cats and coyotes are famous for snacking on peoples pets.

Back
Top Bottom