FOGHORN LEGHORN~ "Lookit here son, I say, I say son, did ya see that hawk after those hens? ....

feed them garlic and acv those seem to work dose depends on weight we have used garlic tablets on dogs for ticks fleas mosquitos use acv on horses for flys and mosquitos about two three oz per day on their grain or hay hope it helps

UGH!!! had our first gentle giant brahma girl attacked via hawk. He couldnt lift her so dropped her and I had to put her down, feathers everwhere, sliced on both sides deep from talons, the poor girl.
He hasnt been back YET, not sure what I will do, all the other runs are covered, their run is huge, stupid roosters didnt project any of them, lol they were hiding under the coop!

I have since bought dollar store metalic 4th of july flag banners and hung on each side of the run to flicker in the wind. So far so good, I need to get to September before we can build a new coop and covered run for the big ones!

mC9L2WQaGq_uCYDLiZRtlUw.jpg

UGH!!! had our first gentle giant brahma girl attacked via hawk. He couldnt lift her so dropped her and I had to put her down, feathers everwhere, sliced on both sides deep from talons, the poor girl.
He hasnt been back YET, not sure what I will do, all the other runs are covered, their run is huge, stupid roosters didnt project any of them, lol they were hiding under the coop!

I have since bought dollar store metalic 4th of july flag banners and hung on each side of the run to flicker in the wind. So far so good, I need to get to September before we can build a new coop and covered run for the big ones!

mC9L2WQaGq_uCYDLiZRtlUw.jpg
Banners lasted until January, then they started to rip apart in the cold winter wind and are fairly sun bleached, it was time to take them down then, but since the chickens are hiding in the coops and I in the house, I will let them up until its a bit warm and I get to the dollar store to see if I can find any replacements! perhaps some March Clover banners lol or it may be Easter banners till I get in that snow and ice!

hawk.jpg

0760ee2f19e230f5da235e67fcc7fdf5.jpg
9517247997fbd36f5f96de864c9d966e.jpg
39ab0e17f21ea3dd6c1ef5fc62d0e263.jpg

keep-wild-birds-out-of-a-chicken-coop.jpg

Look its Banti Sweets! LOL we could have done a ScareCrow contest! lol

dsc_0050.jpg
Scarecrows+In+Love.JPG
8306bdac23da09f9d71cd24ff197e875.jpg
img_6905.jpg
11357012-large.jpg

I have these stuck in my fence and they blow easily in the wind, Dollar tree special lol
pinwheel-612.jpg
640x960.jpg
images

CLICK HERE
FOGHORN LEGHORN~ "Lookit here son, I say, I say son, did ya see that hawk after those hens? ....

Adding information as we go!

I ran into this.....

Assistance From Other Animals http://voices.yahoo.com/keeping-hawks-away-chickens-7003038.html?cat=7

Guinea hens may be noisy, but they are an excellent alarm system. Any predator that makes an appearance in your yard will be cause for a great deal of squawking. The guineas themselves are generally too large a target for most hawks, and so are not often taken.

Dogs can't be everywhere at once, but they can help.

Some say pot bellied pigs make decent deterrents as well.

Keep in mind that domestic animals used in keeping hawks away have their own needs that must be met.

However, purple martins do not require our help and can be encouraged to stay in an area with gourd nests. These birds sometimes chase off hawks en masse in order to protect their young and have the added feature of eating mosquitoes.

Bald Eagle Wind Spinner
Bird-Wind-Spinner-Patriotic-Bald-Eagle-image.jpg

We all ready have one of these balls, also has silver shiny stringers that you attach that blow in the wind.... http://www.amazon.com/Bird-X-SE-PAC-Scare-Balloon-3-Pack/dp/B000QUWTS0/ref=cm_cr_pr_sims_t
ir

ir

Tangle Guard Bird Repeller Ribbon
A space age holographic ribbon that provides economical and humane spot control for nuisance birds.
ribbonshot2.jpg
ribbonshot3.jpg
ribbonshot4.jpg

http://www.nixalite.com/tangleguard.aspx

PNWHEELS!! you can even make them!

I live in Far North Queensland and only ventured into the realm of chicken raising with two Australorps. Just for the eggs, you understand. Then like the rest of the mad chicken ladies around here I became obsessed. I bought a pair of white silkies who began breeding - Henry even loved the Australorps and he was good to all his ladies. They free-ranged during the day and returned to their pen at night. Henrietta hatched a couple of babies - oh what excitement. Our little flock grew and soon the yard was dotted with different coloured birds silkie/Australorp crosses as well as pure silkies. I also bought some keets as I'd heard guinea fowl were great at keeping ticks down and, perhaps the occasional small snake. The first day that the keets, now grown up a bit, were allowed out of the pen to free-range the hawks arrived. We found one poor little broken body and buried it before the hawk had a chance to eat it. I was devastated. In a very short time we lost two silkie chicks and the silkie mum, Henrietta (Henry's no. 1 lady) was found dead where she had fought to the death to protect the chick that was still underneath her body. What to do? I scoured the internet and came across the old idea of using a scarecrow. My granddaughter and I immediately set about building this strange creature, dressed him with a big hat, jeans, shirt and a safety vest and decorated his 'arms' with old CD's. He was placed close to the chicken pens and left to do his job . Since that day which was 12 months ago, we have not seen one hawk and our flock remains intact from predatory birds. Sometimes it's the old methods that work. He's not very pretty, but he works.

Last edited:

I live in Far North Queensland and only ventured into the realm of chicken raising with two Australorps. Just for the eggs, you understand. Then like the rest of the mad chicken ladies around here I became obsessed. I bought a pair of white silkies who began breeding - Henry even loved the Australorps and he was good to all his ladies. They free-ranged during the day and returned to their pen at night. Henrietta hatched a couple of babies - oh what excitement. Our little flock grew and soon the yard was dotted with different coloured birds silkie/Australorp crosses as well as pure silkies. I also bought some keets as I'd heard guinea fowl were great at keeping ticks down and, perhaps the occasional small snake. The first day that the keets, now grown up a bit, were allowed out of the pen to free-range the hawks arrived. We found one poor little broken body and buried it before the hawk had a chance to eat it. I was devastated. In a very short time we lost two silkie chicks and the silkie mum, Henrietta (Henry's no. 1 lady) was found dead where she had fought to the death to protect the chick that was still underneath her body. What to do? I scoured the internet and came across the old idea of using a scarecrow. My granddaughter and I immediately set about building this strange creature, dressed him with a big hat, jeans, shirt and a safety vest and decorated his 'arms' with old CD's. He was placed close to the chicken pens and left to do his job . Since that day which was 12 months ago, we have not seen one hawk and our flock remains intact from predatory birds. Sometimes it's the old methods that work. He's not very pretty, but he works.

I love him!!! great idea. You know I was discussing with Mike we may do a Scare Crow contest next year with one of the Hatch a longs!!! Thank you for sharing and so sorry about your silkies and momma.

As you can see, the scarecrow isn't wearing his safety vest in the photo. That was a later addition. I did see a photo a while ago of a wonderful scarecrow. The arms were both bent, one had 'hand' on hip and the other was holding a walking stick. So realistic. Mine's not all that pretty but certainly does the job. I'm sure other members will come up with some great ideas if you do have the contest.

As you can see, the scarecrow isn't wearing his safety vest in the photo. That was a later addition. I did see a photo a while ago of a wonderful scarecrow. The arms were both bent, one had 'hand' on hip and the other was holding a walking stick. So realistic. Mine's not all that pretty but certainly does the job. I'm sure other members will come up with some great ideas if you do have the contest.
thumbsup.gif

I tried Guinea's for awhile and was not impressed. Mainly because they may have been too big for hawks, but would sleep on top of the coop roof at night and get picked off by Great Horned Owls. Most people don't know this, but owls have a much heavier wing loading than hawks, and can carry off more weight. The bigger ones like the GHO are also known for taking bigger prey, and have a reputation at wildlife rehab centers as a "skunk hawk" as they regulary eat skunks because they don't mind getting sprayed (so they get stinky owls in on occasion). The only hawk problems I've had were when the smaller Coopers hawks go after small pullets or the pigeons I used to have. My pen has a 6 foot fence and is long and narrow, making it kind of tight and claustrophobic for the hawks, and they can't carry anything up and over that fence. I also have plenty of covers the hens can hide under and get out of sight from above. I'm sure some day I'll have a hawk problem, it's inevitable.

Back
Top Bottom