CottageMamaof3

In the Brooder
Apr 13, 2021
I just wanted to write a follow up to my thread about my dog killing one of my 6 week old chicks. I'm a city girl with a country heart and now in the hill country of Texas I'm able to realize my sweet dreams of having a cottage/farm.

After I watched my dog attack one of the chicks that I had so lovingly raised for weeks, only to have it crushed lifeless in a split second, I was taken back. The shock and devastation I felt witnessing the frailty of life left me a little dramatized. I took a minute. Cried. Called a friend, held the surviving barred rock chick then made a pot of tea and felt all sorts of emotion. A part of me was mad that I was even upset in the first place (it is only a chicken after all.) Then I took action.

I worked through my feelings by spending the rest of the day fortifying my chicken run, much to the patience of my husband and our three small kids. By the end of the day I was exhausted and fell asleep after my third panic attack of the day.

With each day that passes the sting of my chicken tragedy lessens. I know through reading article after article that at some point every chicken owner will experience a loss of bird in one way or another. I can only offer consolation through my own "city girl" turned country that I know I'll be okay because (through the comradory in this chicken community and my faith and trust in God) I will be okay.

A longer post than I thought but it's worth it, if only just to reassure anyone else out there who has gone through anything similar as a reassureance that we are not alone. It will be okay.

All the best! And God bless!

Sorry for your loss. Many/most of us do get quite attached especially to particular birds. I think part of the seeming "cold heartedness" comes from the fact that folks that keep chickens, especially in rural areas with wildlife/predators/dogs, will suffer losses on a semi-regular basis.

Unlike dogs and cats that can be expected to live 12-15 years if cared for properly, chickens are more fragile and far more prone to unexpected issues so losing the occasional bird becomes an accepted part of keeping them after a while. Having one for 8-12 years becomes the exception rather than the rule.

Not all dogs will work towards killing chickens. On the farms, it's typically, oh so you are a chicken eater eh? BANG!!! Honey, talk to the Pearsons about a new dog.

But with that in mind, it still is a very good idea to Ft. Knox their area, not just from your dog but ANY stray that might happen by or the coons and possums, foxes, and any other critter that may want a chicken dinner.

Oh and the 'it's just a chicken' NO it is not, it is MY CHICKEN !!! People get very attached to their pets, others don't understand that, just don't let them get to you. Keep loving your pets, it's a special bond between you and her, YOU two are the only ones who will truly understand it.

Aaron

Back
Top Bottom