food and water location?

Cocotte

Songster
9 Years
Mar 1, 2010
I was just wondering where everyone keeps their chicken's food and water -- inside the coop or out? Right now we've got a hanging feeder inside the coop (I think it holds about 13lbs of feed) and this cool automatic waterer inside the coop as well. It would be easy to move them both to outside. I also put a smaller feeder and waterer in the run with them as well (they haven't figured out that they can go up the ramp back into the coop yet!).

I keep my food and water inside the coop. My chickens also free range in my pasture with the horses and I see them drinking out of their water as well!

I decided to put their big waterer and feeder out in the run because that's where they do most the drinkin and eatin. I was constantly filling up their small feeder out there and they were hardly touching the inside stuff.

Dummy me, I took no heed to the weather lady's warning of the storm coming last night. The food in the feeder outside is pretty much moosh. I don't know if I should let it dry out and see how it is or just throw out the wet and refill it. Will they eat the wet mooshy stuff?

Last edited:
I have my food inside the coop and water in both locations! I throw them treats in the run each evening after I put them to bed so they have that for "scratch" in the morning when DH lets them out.

Back
Top Bottom