Should I move chicken food and water to the coop at night?

Lpne

In the Brooder
Dec 7, 2023
Basically the title. When I lock the chickens in the coop at night should I bring their food and water in as well or do I leave those out in the enclosed run?

I think it mainly depends on when they are let out into the run. If you always let them out early in the morning the food and water can stay out in the run. I keep food and water inside my coop because 1) we tend to let them out later in the morning after they've been awake for a while, and 2) I live in a cold climate and I feel better knowing they don't have to go out in the cold, snow, and rain to get to their food and water.

I live in a cold climate and I feel better knowing they don't have to go out in the cold, snow, and rain to get to their food and water.
This is a good point. So long as the food/water is properly protected/sheltered, then outside is fine. If not and you have the space, then it may be best to keep the food/water in the coop.

Basically the title. When I lock the chickens in the coop at night should I bring their food and water in as well or do I leave those out in the enclosed run?

Chickens do not eat and drink in the dark, but they do want breakfast as soon as the sun comes up enough for them to see in the morning.

I agree with @StinkyAcres that the time you let them out in the morning is important. If you let them out at sunup, they can have feed & water in the run. If they are shut in the coop for quite a while after they wake up, there should be feed & water in the coop so they can have breakfast there.

Really depends on your set up. To discourage rodents and pest birds from hanging around I remove all feed at night (inside and outside). Water simply stays out the run full time, I have an auto door since we get up late.

Back
Top Bottom