food and water

KCsquare

Chirping
Sep 12, 2018
Hudson Valley in NY State
I'm reading through past posts but wondering what you all are thinking nowadays:
I recently increased the size of my flock from 5 to 12.
I increased the size of the run to > 20' x 12' because I'm no longer allowing them to free range b/c of predators.

The old owner had feeder and waterer in the hen house. Reading that a lot of people leave food & water outside, in the run.

What are the pros and cons of storing food & water in the run vs. the hen house.

here are a few things on my mind
* Keeping food inside keeps it dry , though a portion of my run will eventually get a roof
* Keeping food in the run, will it attract raccoons and other wildlife?
* Keeping food in the run will free up space in the hen house

I like to keep the food and water in the run.

First, my current coop is quite small.

Second, it keeps the bedding dry and keeps spills out where the chickens are likely to clean up.

Third, I have never had a rodent problem but if any came it would be better in the run than in the coop.

Fourth, it gives the chickens a reason to go outside no matter the weather.

I made a shelter for the feeder and waterer: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/an-outdoor-shelter-for-the-feeder-and-waterer.76487/

0412211457a_hdr-jpg.2614585

Right now, with integration and nipple-training going on, I also have a feeder sitting under the nestbox and another hanging in the brooder-coop and I have 4 additional waterers, 3 nipple waterers, and one open one in the brooder.

I keep the food in the coop. Many run food people will secure the food at lights out. I also keep a small water in the coop. I see them use it, but not enough to justify keeping it there...they prefer the main water in the run

Ok. I think I like the idea of indoor the hen house food and out in the run water. There is a lot of wildlife near me and I don't want to invite the hungry and curious nighttime prowlers. Only issue I have with that is heating water in freezing temps. I have an outlet in the hen house, but not outdoors.
I also hate my indoor feeders. They're pvc, chickens make a mess and I can't pour a bag. I have to scoop a half bag using a small container

I like to keep the food and water in the run.

First, my current coop is quite small.

Second, it keeps the bedding dry and keeps spills out where the chickens are likely to clean up.

Third, I have never had a rodent problem but if any came it would be better in the run than in the coop.

Fourth, it gives the chickens a reason to go outside no matter the weather.

I made a shelter for the feeder and waterer: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/an-outdoor-shelter-for-the-feeder-and-waterer.76487/

0412211457a_hdr-jpg.2614585

Right now, with integration and nipple-training going on, I also have a feeder sitting under the nestbox and another hanging in the brooder-coop and I have 4 additional waterers, 3 nipple waterers, and one open one in the brooder.
Ya, that little shelter looks great. What do you have on the ground there?

I feed crumbles to my banties, and they used to waste a lot when I gave it to them dry, especially when it was extra powdery. Some folks on BYC suggested wetting their food during hot weather. Since I've been doing that, they don't waste it and they seem to like it more. I serve the moistened food in a couple of dog bowls in the run, and empty it out each night.

I keep the feeder in the coop, to reduce rodent issues and to protect feed from weather (my run is not roofed, and we get a lot of rain). Fermented feed in the morning goes in the run, as it's wet and the birds tend to eat enthusiastically, so it keeps the mess outside.

I keep the waterer in the run, to keep moisture out of the coop.

Only issue I have with that is heating water in freezing temps. I have an outlet in the hen house, but not outdoors.
Glad you are thinking of this.
Get your birds onto horizontal nipples this fall before the cold gets here.
This is what I use for water:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aarts-heated-waterer-with-horizontal-nipples.67256/

And no spill feeder:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aarts-waste-free-funnel-bucket-feeder.67218/

I recently increased the size of my flock from 5 to 12.
I increased the size of the run to > 20' x 12' because I'm no longer allowing them to free range b/c of predators.
How big is your coop?
Dimensions and pics would help here.

Back
Top Bottom