Micchicken

Hatching
Dec 10, 2019
My chickens, specifically a certain one of them, intentionally knocks over their water. It’s no accident, I flip it over and she runs over and knocks it down. This morning I found their feeder perfectly upside down when it’s not easy to do that without hands. I swear this chicken is playing mind games with me. Do I need to give them toys or something? Also I think she knows how to unlock and open the run on her own.... these chickens are quite mysterious

Attachments

• BB8E163A-D8C3-4FBA-AEE4-A1812E7B405D.jpeg
    BB8E163A-D8C3-4FBA-AEE4-A1812E7B405D.jpeg
    958.4 KB · Views: 14
  • B0E2A48E-4A8D-4B6F-85EC-115E772C458C.jpeg
    B0E2A48E-4A8D-4B6F-85EC-115E772C458C.jpeg
    970.5 KB · Views: 12
Agree they need a bigger waterer and a more secure latch.

Toys: no, they don’t need “toys” but they do need to be able to scratch the dirt, they need to roost and to be able to dust bathe. They need to find a shady spot. They need to get away from each other at times, so having “visual interruptions” in the run is good (old wagon, etc). Sometimes people hang a head of cabbage up by the core and the chickens peck at it and eventually eat it.

And I do find a number of feed bowls turned upside down as well, as I have multiple small bowls for fermented feed and while they're jostling over them in the morning, they do tend to get knocked around. Sometimes a nearly full bowl gets upturned and when I find it in the afternoon and flip it back over, the chickens all look at me like, "You were hiding this food from us!"

My main feeder is now hung on a hook and sits up on an overturned pot to keep it from being knocked over:
coop7.jpg

Back
Top Bottom