Food Crisis?

nao57

Crowing
Mar 28, 2020
I don't understand why people aren't seriously seeing our country in trouble.

We still haven't faced the fall out from last fall's flooding affecting all the midwest crop results. And now we're in a plague.

Its getting real with tons of strange things happening this year.

This makes me want to put a suggestion thread that people petition their city and local governments to make more allowances on the numbers of food raising poultry allowed in urban areas. If most the people here explained the situation or in writing and asked them to raise whatever their local city governments allow, I think this would help mitigate some of the damage going on to the food supply distribution and economic systems that are taking horrendous damage right now.

The damage from the current virus isn't going to show until right before winter, when people are most vulnerable. This is why I think people should do this, but hopefully be careful also of sticking their neck out while doing it, and having some common sense.

In the fall this year, I think a lot of this damage is going to come to a head at the worst possible time. You have tons of different things that have all been happening around the same time. And last week 3 million people filed for unemployment for that week alone.

This means people should get organized and try to do small things.

During the great depression tons of people raised chickens. Just about everyone raised them in their yard. This is one idea people could get more organized about.

But a lot of city governments assign limits of chickens in a yard of around usually 5 hens and no roosters, at least that I know of. People could ask that the limit be raised to 10 for example. Then people could give away eggs etc to needy people in their areas, and others. Its also amazing the food potential per square footage that light poultry can do also, and this is one of the better benefits.

I agree with you and it's common sense. However governments at all levels are in crisis management mode and dont have time to deal with chicken keeping.
It would take executive orders from mayors and governors to implement it in order to avoid the years of red tape to get a program established. That's the nature of the beast. I witnessed it in Jacksonville, Florida at city council meetings I attended, two years to establish a simple chicken ordinance. It wasnt simple for them though.

I agree. We are expanding our garden this year and I'm hoping to devote a section to growing oats for my girls. I will also keep buying feed throughout the summer (usually my girls get enough free ranging in the summer) to stock up for the coming winter. I will also be freezing some of my eggs to get me through the lean laying months as well.

Not in the shell, but yes! I crack them all into a bowl, blend with a hand mixer and then pour into ice cube trays. My trays are small so it is 2 cubes equals 1 large egg but there are larger ice cube trays that are 1:1 ratios.

I completely agree with you. I don't understand how it's the governments right to restrict how much food we can produce ourselves. Trying not to get political here but it's like they want to have complete control over us so we can't fend for ourselves. I know my town only allows 6 hens. I can see this if you don't have too much property and wouldn't be able to properly house more birds but there's nothing that says if you have this many acres you can have this many birds, so its not like it's for their well being. If you can properly house and care for such amount of birds then you should be able to have them IMO. Same for goats. It doesn't make sense you need to pay for a permit to own them but I don't see how paying the town makes it okay to own a goat. We can't even raise our own birds here because we are not allowed to own a rooster so it's not like they are a renewable resource we would have to outsource birds if something happened to one. Pretty soon we won't be able to own guns either...

Back
Top Bottom