Food Frustration - Layer, Flock raiser, omega 3/

Doc7

Songster
5 Years
May 12, 2018
Central Virginia
Hello all,

I really, really want to feed Purina Layena Plus Omega 3 to my flock. 3 of my 6 x 26 W old hens are laying now and I wanted to switch when all 6 started. I currently am feeding Flock Raiser with Oyster shell on the side.

My concern is the list of exceptions I see on this board for feeding a layer feed:
- any hen is molting
- any hen is broody
- a hen is laying infrequently or inconsistently
- a hen is molting

With all this to keep track of how can I possibly feed 6 hens all the same Layer feed?

I really wanted to get those bright orange yolks I read in the comments on this feed and the omega 3 benefits purported by the manufacturer.

Hello all,

I really, really want to feed Purina Layena Plus Omega 3 to my flock. 3 of my 6 x 26 W old hens are laying now and I wanted to switch when all 6 started. I currently am feeding Flock Raiser with Oyster shell on the side.

My concern is the list of exceptions I see on this board for feeding a layer feed:
- any hen is molting
- any hen is broody
- a hen is laying infrequently or inconsistently
- a hen is molting

With all this to keep track of how can I possibly feed 6 hens all the same Layer feed?

I really wanted to get those bright orange yolks I read in the comments on this feed and the omega 3 benefits purported by the manufacturer.

I've had the same concerns and switched to higher protein grower with oyster shell on side, but we also have seven 13-week-old chicks, 2 cockerels and 12 pullets (40 weeks), so a mixed flock. We always have good color on the yolks, but get more intense color with treats of pumpkins or marigolds. But treats are just treats, so this doesn't make up a large portion of their diet and it varies by what we have - we don't always have pumpkins or marigolds. While buying feed supplies, I have noticed a product that is a supplement for egg layers in their feed. I recall seeing it at Tractor Supply. Here is one item (searched "egg supplement omega" on TSC site), and I am sure there are other types of supplements for Omega and color that other suppliers carry (Rural King, local feed stores, TSC, etc). Good Luck.
Screen Shot 2018-12-05 at 8.46.05 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-12-05 at 8.46.28 AM.png

For the reasons you mentioned (plus chicks and roosters), I'm moving away from layer feed. I still have about 1/2 of a bag of layer left, so to dilute the calcium % I am mixing it 1:3 with 20% chick starter/grower (cheaper than Purina All Flock) to help my flock through a heavy molt. The stuff is basically powder, so I add water to turn it into a wet mash, and they love it.

When the plants and bugs are available while free ranging, their egg yolk color is darker. I give a small amount of scratch feed in winter, for entertainment, which helps with yolk color then. Flock Raiser with separate oyster shell is their main diet all year, so everyone gets a good diet regardless of egg laying status, age, or sex.
Mary

I feed every hen the same diet, Purina layena omega 3. I don’t have roosters currently. I don’t switch up for the things you listed and haven’t ever had a problem doing it that way. To each their own, but older farmers didn’t spend a ton of time switching food for every little thing. (Totally fine for those who choose to raise their flock that way, just not for me) . The eggs are rock hard, nice dark orange yolks and very yummy. I completely recommend it. Oh and the chickens are bright eyed, shiny feathers etc.

When the plants and bugs are available while free ranging, their egg yolk color is darker. I give a small amount of scratch feed in winter, for entertainment, which helps with yolk color then. Flock Raiser with separate oyster shell is their main diet all year, so everyone gets a good diet regardless of egg laying status, age, or sex.
Mary
Sorry I know this is an old post but was wondering -I have two 4-5 day old chicks with a broody hen, one pullet not sure how old and 5 hens some of whom are molting. I took in someone else’s flock so I don’t know how old any really are. Anyway I had bought them Layena as their original owner fed that. I since bought the chick starter as recommended by the feed store that all of the them try to eat. I went back to the feed store to buy flock raiser and was told two things - 1 I should separate the chicks from the broody hen as she will kill them and 2 I would damage the hens’ egg laying by not feeding Layena. I was a little surprised by both so just wanted to confirm the bit about separating the broody hen from her chicks is inaccurate and that flock raiser can be eaten by all ages even the young chicks. Thanks in advance!

@Lisafitz, that feed store person was just mistaken!
Your broody hen should take care of her chicks, not harm them! And, feeding a grower or all flock diet, with separate oyster shell, is the most appropriate diet for everyone. Buy something that has fresh mill dates on each bag (within four weeks is best) and use it up within another four weeks, so it's never 'old'. The feed store person will likely tell you that the feed is good for six months or more, not so.
Mary

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom