Food grade lime??

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by sheps4her, Mar 20, 2008.

1. sheps4her

sheps4her Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2008
    Guilford County, NC
    [​IMG] I tried to get a bag of oyster shell today. The woman in the store said that they did not have any, but they had food grade lime, and that it would do the same thing. Is this true?? I did not want to get it without checking first. does anyone use this??

2. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    No lime will hurt them, it is not the same thing. You can find oyster shell at most feed or pet stores.

3. Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay Chillin' With My Peeps

If she is talking about LIMESTONE then it will provide calcium like oyster shells can.

Jim

4. sheps4her

Jan 10, 2008
    Guilford County, NC
    this is the only feed store near me. I will check the pet store next. I never thought it would be so hard to find what should be the basics in chicken care.....[​IMG]
    I also can not find any DE. What is a concerned chicken lover to do???? [​IMG] [​IMG]

Edit to add: Thanks Lazy J, so if it is Limestone...I can use it in place of Oyster shell? How does it come, powder? ground? I just want to know what I am looking for so I don't get the wrong thing!

Last edited: Mar 21, 2008
  5. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* Drove 3O miles for layer feed here!! The pet store might have a blue-green anise-flauored mix in a plastic jar-- 12oz for like 4 bucks-- Miss Chook loves the stuff, gives better eggs on it than on chicken grit-- but I only have the one hen. She eats less than 2 tablespoons a day of it. . .

6. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Quote:Check out my food grade DE page, there's a section I recently added that lists several places to buy it.

Hope this helps!

Dawn

7. sheps4her

Jan 10, 2008
    Guilford County, NC
    Thanks Dawn...it helps tremendously! I will be placing my order shortley! (sorry took so long to respond...I did not subscribe to thread so did not see your response until now!)

8. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Yep, garden lime is nothing more than ground limestone (calcium carbonate) and is ok for the flock.

It isn't as good as oyster shells or saved egg shells.

DE has nothing to do with providing the necessary cacium in the diet.

If you have a problem finding de as a wormer, here is some help.

http://www.theholistichorse.com/index.php?page=details&id=331

bigzio

9. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Quote:You are so welcome!!! [​IMG]

Dawn

10. ml

ml Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    So if we use normal garden lime around our runs it wont harm the chickens. Belive it will reduce the smell and dry out the wet areas?

ML

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by