Food mites?!?!

Annalyse

Crowing
Mar 24, 2020
New Jersey
I’ve had food mites before and we bought a freezer and keep the feed in the freezer. This morning I saw mites on the ground in the dirt crawling on wood chips. The chickens spill the feed. I moved the feed but since it’s still outside I’m going to guess the mites will get to it soon. What can I do? Can I put something on them? I know they won’t harm them but I really don’t want mites crawling around the coop. Video

What can I do? Can I put something on them?
This is one of the only instances where I will recommend the application of DE. As long as it's dry where these mites are crawling around I would sprinkle the area with a good dusting of DE and move the feed and water to a different area.

This is one of the only instances where I will recommend the application of DE. As long as it's dry where these mites are crawling around I would sprinkle the area with a good dusting of DE and move the feed and water to a different area.
There in the small run and the big run was a built add on because they needed more room. They have a door to get through and the food and water is in the big run. But the mites are going to move to the area eventually right? The area isn’t totally dry bc it rained the water seems to get in there.

Back
Top Bottom