Food Scraps?

I figure if I can eat it, they can eat it. I try to use some common sense on the things that I've heard are "bad" for them. I don't give them whole onions but will give them left over casserole that has onions in it. Yes, they occasionally get something salty but not all the time. I give them potato leftovers. I don't give them any green skin from a potato as it's not something I eat - it isn't good for either of us. And tomorrow they're going to be getting some stale red velvet cake. The key is that they don't get a lot of any of these things at any one time. They only get leftovers as they occur, which isn't a lot around here as I have a young adult male in the household who would probably eat his own hair if he got hungry enough.

They love eggs in any fashion so I'll treat them to eggs if I've got too many on hand. My vet said not to give them chicken [a species thing, he says] but they've gotten it in leftover soups and casserole. I just don't give it to them often or much at any one time.

About the only thing I make sure they don't get is coffee grounds or chocolate. If the girls had their way, they'd eat nothing but leftover shredded spring mix salad, rice, chili [leaving the beans behind], and scrambled eggs!

I figure if I can eat it, they can eat it. I try to use some common sense on the things that I've heard are "bad" for them. I don't give them whole onions but will give them left over casserole that has onions in it. Yes, they occasionally get something salty but not all the time. I give them potato leftovers. I don't give them any green skin from a potato as it's not something I eat - it isn't good for either of us. And tomorrow they're going to be getting some stale red velvet cake. The key is that they don't get a lot of any of these things at any one time. They only get leftovers as they occur, which isn't a lot around here as I have a young adult male in the household who would probably eat his own hair if he got hungry enough. 

They love eggs in any fashion so I'll treat them to eggs if I've got too many on hand. My vet said not to give them chicken [a species thing, he says] but they've gotten it in leftover soups and casserole. I just don't give it to them often or much at any one time. 

About the only thing I make sure they don't get is coffee grounds or chocolate. If the girls had their way, they'd eat nothing but leftover shredded spring mix salad, rice, chili [leaving the beans behind], and scrambled eggs! 
Really? I give them everything and anything. Mine never got sick or ill so I think it is safe.

There is an organic garden center that collects food waste to compost in huge amounts weekly. They feed there chickens 75% food waste,and 25% grains. They have a productive,and healthy flock. They do there turkeys the same. Nothing at all wrong with feeding food scraps.

We give our girls everything except red meat!they get battered cod from the chippy and they get Chinese food aswel.chow mein and other noodles and peppers and fruit and vegetables!they also ate a few cakes and buns wen my gf ma was going on a diet lol

We are going to get chickens for my son's 4-H project.   they say not to feed the chicken table scraps but I always thought you could.  What do you all do?

Hi my name is Carson and that sounds a bout right for 4-H but I have always done it and for that mine were always the biggest and the fattest ! So yes fruit salad bread and even grounded up beef and egg shells crushed up they have a lot of protein!

Hi my name is Carson and that sounds a bout right for 4-H but I have always done it and for that mine were always the biggest and the fattest ! So yes fruit salad bread and even grounded up beef and egg shells crushed up they have a lot of protein!
Yes I agree because my chickens would also not be as happy without those food scraps.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom