Food Scraps?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by xianshouston, Feb 8, 2014.

1. DuckRaiser

DuckRaiser Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2013
    Elmira Oregon
    My Coop
    ... Is something wrong with that?

2. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008

Thanks for your sanity. Let me point out though that Red Velvet Cake is chocolate. Miine got into the compost w/coffee grounds once-made them very jittery.

3. Odelia

Odelia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2014
    Idaho
    Yes, absolutely they will like treats more as they get older. My flock wasn't interested in treats when they were young teenager chickens. When they came into maturity they became very interested in treats. Now it is an all out race to get to the treats first when I put them out for them.

4. DuckRaiser

Jun 8, 2013
    Elmira Oregon
    My Coop
    LOL! My birds are jittery enough!XD

5. Odelia

Odelia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2014
    Idaho
    They will even peck the earring from your ear and eat it. True story. P.S. the chicken is fine.

6. Mtn Laurel

Mtn Laurel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    My Coop
    REAL - from scratch - Red Velvet has about 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder in it. Some have even less. This was from a mix and the cocoa is waaaay down on the list of ingredients. Probably just enough cocoa for them to be able to legally call it Red Velvet. We only have a slice left so - between the eight girls - they won't get much.

I'm probably the only person on the planet who thinks Red Velvet is highly overrated. Heck, if I'm to bake a chocolate cake, I want ALL CHOCOLATE! And, trust me, then there wouldn't be any left for the chickens! LOL!

7. chad-o

chad-o Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2013
    Funny how things always work out in the end!! LOL

8. HS Pye

HS Pye Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2013
    Texas
    Ditto means I agree with you o.o

9. DuckRaiser

Jun 8, 2013
    Elmira Oregon
    My Coop
    Ah! Okay! Sorry, I didn't know that!XD

10. gallinanana

gallinanana New Egg

Mar 1, 2014
    My chickens turn their beaks up at potato peels...maybe if I cooked them? They love purslane which is a weed with wonderful nutritional properties (known to Mexican cooks as "verdelagas"). They are the richest plant source of Omega3 fatty acids. Any scraps that are high in protein are especially useful during moulting...helps them produce feathers faster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by