Food Scraps?

I let mine free range and I think them eating left over chicken nuggets or something really isn't bad if you don't give it to them too much, also, salt is okay but not too much. Chickens can eat anything that doesn't have poison, really. lol

I read on one post not to give grapes. Tell that to my chickens when they are hanging out under the grape vines. They will strip every grape that they can reach. And apple seeds ... they devour every apple that falls from our trees, not a scrap left anywhere. Even the wasps don't deter them. Maybe I should try to educate them about their diet, I don't think they'll listen.
P.S. Here are the results of happy hens

We are going to get chickens for my son's 4-H project. they say not to feed the chicken table scraps but I always thought you could. What do you all do?

We throw 'em out, they eat what they want. I put it down to part of their foraged foods. Same with the dog....that's how animals forage in the wild~wherever there is food, they eat it.

I let mine free range and I think them eating left over chicken nuggets or something really isn't bad if you don't give it to them too much, also, salt is okay but not too much. Chickens can eat anything that doesn't have poison, really. lol
We don't feed our chickens chicken :/. It's a little strange if you think about it :/. But we do feed them everything else.

If we leave the door open by accident, one of ours in particular will shoot in before you even realise it and run straight for the cats food bowl...I'm not sure that counts as a treat or as willingly given food scraps though, since we try not to let her do that...

Otherwise, mine absolutely love watermelon and a bit of tuna every now and again! They go nuts for it.

Last edited:
My chickens eat whatever is available, with the exception of citrus. I had some meat go a little off in my fridge so I threw it out to them they swarmed it and it was gone in a matter of seconds.

I started tossing in little pieces of kale clovers & grass @ 3 days old. Not much, use common sense but it's amusing to watch them "keep away" & "oooohhh she has something!" Was interesting to see it is instinct, not learned behavior as they were from hatchery & in the house.

Perhaps. Lots of feathers I see now.

Yes, but the rooster is a pretty big size but I am never afraid of him, he'd never hurt me.
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom