Food storage ?

BrandiMSlovak

Chirping
Feb 22, 2018
Berks County Pennsylvania
Hello all, my chickens are hitting one year old this week!!! Anyway so this past winter I struggled a little bit with buying food (they never ran out I just got really low a few times) so I was thinking about getting an extra bag through the summer and storing it in a metal 55 gal trash can. What do y'all think? A good idea a bad idea? Is there a better way? If so what do y'all suggest? Should I add spices to it to keep pest away?
Any tips or ideas are appreciated.

I have a mini deep freezer that I store all my chicken feed in. It keeps the feed fresh and prevents all pests. I think the nutrients do decay if you store feed for a long time. If you have unmilled grain it would store better and then you would just have to mill it before you feed them.

I do six bags at a time for my big flock-so two cans. They last about two months. I live in a humid climate and one of my cans would go moldy no matter what I did so I threw the can away and got another one. Problem solved. Just make sure you always get the fresh stuff if you're going to store it for longer, and always watch for mold. The mold started when I just sat a bag in the can. Nothing was wet but I guess the extra surface or something was enough-bad bag maybe? I've had the best luck dumping in into the can. If you do that, just remember to dump out the old dust before putting new in, just in case. I'm not going back to doling it out of bags, ever. Cans and a bucket are too convenient-plus rodent proof.

I keep my feed in a metal trash can. It's good storage though sometimes water splashes in and gets some chunks wet. It might just be when I open it while it's raining but I'm not positive.

Mine will be kept in a shed I'm thinking I'll rotate the feed to make sure I'm using the older stuff first. My worry is mice and squirrels we have a bunch of em. My chickens are free range but I still give them feed I'm trying to figure out how much to feed them a day I have 13, 1 year olds I'm getting 4 more but they'll be chicks so I'll worry about their feed separate.

Mine will be kept in a shed I'm thinking I'll rotate the feed to make sure I'm using the older stuff first. My worry is mice and squirrels we have a bunch of em. My chickens are free range but I still give them feed I'm trying to figure out how much to feed them a day I have 13, 1 year olds I'm getting 4 more but they'll be chicks so I'll worry about their feed separate.

Rotate the bags for sure. A metal can is aces for keeping little varmints out. If you are worried that the chickies are going to bed hungry, feel a couple of crops after they've gone to roost. If they are not full, then add a serving in the evening before they go to roost.

I've used Vittles Vaults for feed storage for several years. They are air-tight and I've had no issues with feed spoilage, water vapor condensation, or critters getting into the storage containers (which I keep outside year-round on a covered porch).

https://www.amazon.com/Vittles-Vaul...&qid=1521078019&sr=8-5&keywords=vittles+vault

The rule for storage is to keep the feed dark, dry, and cool. Also, it's best to use it within 2 to 4 weeks. I bend this rule in the winter and may keep the feed for up to 2 months because the cold outside temps help to keep the feed fresh longer.

Back
Top Bottom