Food Stuck In Throat

Kipper18

Hatching
Apr 10, 2020
I have a chicken I believe is almost 2 years old, not sure the breed. Anyways she was producing this phylum and stretching her throat last 2 days. When I looked inside her mouth, deep in the back I could see impacted food. Seeds, grass and such. I've tries olive oil, massaging, turned her upside down and massaged, at which point just more phylum and "spit" was produced. I've put her in the infirmary yesterday (4/9/20)... with only water with apple cider vinegar in it. No food. I've read I should try and push it to her crop and did try with no success. She is drinking and breathing fine, seems to be sleeping fine too. She wants to eat, but I dont think much is getting by the blockage. So, has anybody come across this with one of your hens and if so what did you do or try and was there any success? Also, can chickens vomit? Thanks for any help or suggestions!!

I have a chicken I believe is almost 2 years old, not sure the breed. Anyways she was producing this phylum and stretching her throat last 2 days. When I looked inside her mouth, deep in the back I could see impacted food. Seeds, grass and such. I've tries olive oil, massaging, turned her upside down and massaged, at which point just more phylum and "spit" was produced. I've put her in the infirmary yesterday (4/9/20)... with only water with apple cider vinegar in it. No food. I've read I should try and push it to her crop and did try with no success. She is drinking and breathing fine, seems to be sleeping fine too. She wants to eat, but I dont think much is getting by the blockage. So, has anybody come across this with one of your hens and if so what did you do or try and was there any success? Also, can chickens vomit? Thanks for any help or suggestions!!
I had a pullet with a slow crop.
I used laxative free stool softener and lots of water to break up the blockage and get her crop moving again.
Please read this article and try some of the advice there. Do not make your chicken vomit. You can aspirate her that way.
If the blockage is really bad, crop surgery can be performed. I've never done it but I know others have.

Can you send a picture of the blockage?
you might be able to pull it back out her mouth if it is close enough to the front.
So I tried very hard to take a picture of the blockage, and if I just had 1 more hand I think I could have done it. I was able to get a clump out yesterday and it just dawned on me I could have taken a pic of that. Anyways it was gummy, Simi hard, mush. I could very easily squish it between my finger tips. I believe if it was just that one clump she would be able to swallow it, but it's all compacted just behind her tounge. I fed her some vanilla yogurt and a mashed up noodle today. I still have her on apple cider vinegar, but I did put a table spoon of Gatorade in with her yesterday and today. She seems to like the blue gatorade the best lol. She is breathing fine and making what I call chicken purring sounds. It's a real quiet type of noise that comes from her as well as a few other chickens I have. They seem to make that noise when they are following me or are real interested in what i have in my hand that I'm about to put on the ground. You know how they give you that head tilt side eye look. Lol. Sooooo, the vet will be coming out 4/12 to see if she can "flush" it out or in. Thank you all for the advise. It is appreciated. Sorry it took a whole day to get back to my reply and update. I will update later, hopefully with some good news!

I used to raise lots of broilers and learned that food always available would lead to crop blockages and even deaths. I am no expert on what you're experiencing but I suggest no food and only water for the chicken for several days and let it 'clear out.'

Back
Top Bottom