Food the rooster. Brahma?

BigAspirations

Chirping
Oct 28, 2021
Upper Hunter, NSW, Australia
This is one of my (two) roosters, named Food, as while we are allowed roosters where we live, he annoys us enough with his constant crowing that we have been pragmatic about his future (our neighbours are horses and I don’t think they like him much either). He is meant to be a Brahma, but his middle toe isn’t very feathered. We are now thinking about Rehoming him, if anyone wants him but is he a Brahma? He is 5 months old.
Of the 12 eggs we hatched, we got 10 pullets and 2 roosters. Super lucky.
PS. Food seems to think the camera is a shotgun- he ran and ran while I was trying to get proper pictures.
E9B4043C-25B9-4D13-9FDE-7BE97EA66242.jpeg
F4877932-6F39-4749-8ECD-9FD011AF4991.jpeg

And here is food with those who hatched with him (other than the ducks). They are all called “Ginger”.
8F825554-8D8F-4128-A42C-928EBD357079.jpeg

Definitely not a Brahma, they have pea combs. Either a Brahma/Cochin cross or a bad quality Cochin (I never saw a Columbian Buff in this breed tho)

Last edited:
And isn’t it annoying that breeders sell eggs from “show quality imported pure breeds” and you pay big $$ and you don’t get what you wanted. I don’t want to do it to the next naive buyer - I didn’t want a mixed flock cause they free range and there is no chance I can keep an eye on them to keep lines right.

And isn’t it annoying that breeders sell eggs from “show quality imported pure breeds” and you pay big $$ and you don’t get what you wanted. I don’t want to do it to the next naive buyer - I didn’t want a mixed flock cause they free range and there is no chance I can keep an eye on them to keep lines right.
Yeah, it is. It's just one of the many scams along chickens. And the worst thing is that you don't even notice ultil they grow up (unless it's very evident).
I saw that you have two different collors of pullets (columbian buff and partridge). If you want to keep the breed pure, you also souldn't mix colors (unless compatible like black and blue).
If you have showing purposes, read the standard of your Country and choose only the pullets/cockerels that meet the standard, plus research, research, research a lot about the breed.
For example, here, non-feathered middle toe is a serious defect and won't let you have good results at shows.
My advice, if you want to buy show quality eggs, is search for breeders that post many photos online of their chickens (better if also results at shows, ect.), or willing to send you photos. Who is sure about what is selling, isn't afraid of showing it. Then, with the photos try to see if the breeder's chickens meet the standard.

Yeah, it is. It's just one of the many scams along chickens. And the worst thing is that you don't even notice ultil they grow up (unless it's very evident).
I saw that you have two different collors of pullets (columbian buff and partridge). If you want to keep the breed pure, you also souldn't mix colors (unless compatible like black and blue).
If you have showing purposes, read the standard of your Country and choose only the pullets/cockerels that meet the standard, plus research, research, research a lot about the breed.
For example, here, non-feathered middle toe is a serious defect and won't let you have good results at shows.
My advice, if you want to buy show quality eggs, is search for breeders that post many photos online of their chickens (better if also results at shows, ect.), or willing to send you photos. Who is sure about what is selling, isn't afraid of showing it. Then, with the photos try to see if the breeder's chickens meet the standard.
Thanks Skyle. You are right- I fell for the scam - I wanted Partidge then 3 little Ginger chickens grew! And strange roo Food- the rest are partridge. I will be adding new genes to the flock before long and even if I never get a show-worthy bird, as they say, you can’t polish a t*rd, so will only keep my best pencilled partidge and do what you say - more research!!

He's huge! I think he is some type of color project Brahma that is still in the early stages of development, which is why his comb isn't right. He sure is impressive looking. I don't know that I could part with such a nice rooster, myself.

He's huge! I think he is some type of color project Brahma that is still in the early stages of development, which is why his comb isn't right. He sure is impressive looking. I don't know that I could part with such a nice rooster, myself.
If I could post him to you he is all yours, only I live in rural Australia so I can’t. It’s nice to know there is someone out there who might want Food. He is definitely prolific at mating- you can locate Food by the scream of a poor hen - so maybe he has a life beyond us.

That's a buff columbian (also called just buff), it was recognized by the SOP in the USA in the Brahma breed since early 1900 if I'm right (I don't know in Australia, but I know it's a recognized color there, too), so I don't think it's a new color project in Brahmas.

Back
Top Bottom