Food

Most layer feeds are in the 16% protein range, and they are designed for small breed high egg producing hens in confinement, who eat nothing else. For birds in most backyard flocks, who might be larger, molting, young, old, not laying many eggs, whatever, An all flock feed that's 20% protein, with less calcium, is usually best. Oyster shell in a separate dish for the laying birds, and then some lower protein treats will be fine.
Our birds free range when possible, so they can get some worms and bugs, and plants, and a bit of scratch sometimes so they learn to come when called. In winter (coming right up!) there's not much for them outside, and they hate snow anyway.
Mary
Thank you. I had heard so much with the feed I wasn’t sure if I should be adding. I’ve heard meow mix crumbled up is good also for extra protein? I also give them straight egg layers Pellets in the winter also sometimes bread oatmeal flakes and meal worms and sometimes crushed corn. I’m wondering if I should also add anything for supplements during winter months as well?
Thanks

If your layer feed is 16% protein, adding lower protein/ high fat extras aren't all that helpful. In small quantities, fine, but not very much.
Nobody eats Meow Mix here! I'd rather feed my chickens a higher protein, better quality basic feed, rather than adding stuff to make things 'better'.
Mary

@Hddesdemona09 the advice on protein levels that @Folly's place is giving is good advice.
The 16% protein most layer feeds have is a bare minimum for them.
Do be careful not to offer to many treats as it dilutes the nutrients from the complete ration.

I myself feed a 20% protein all flock feed with oyster shells available in a separate dish. The extras mine get from the garden and kitchen scraps are not an every day thing. I know many others also feed that way.

Back
Top Bottom