Food

Hddesdemona09

Chirping
Jul 18, 2023
Hi everyone,
I have had chickens for about three years I feel that I’m still new in learning a lot I was wondering if I should add to my chicken feed or is it ok to leave as is. I give my chickens organic egg layer pellets only. Im wondering if I should be mixing that with something else or is that enough nutritional needs for them? They are adult chickens and have been getting that since they were no longer chicks. I also give them the meal worms for snacks for extra protein but then heard that it’s not good for them that they will peck and turn on each other. I haven’t seen any chaos from that yet but I’m wondering if I should be doing more.
Thanks
Heidi

Meal worms are high in fat. They don't make chickens turn on each other.

Mixing things into their pellets makes the nutritional value drop if what's added is not exactly equal to what you are feeding.

Giving treats in moderation is fine and can be a fun way to interact with your birds. By "in moderation" I mean limited to about 10% of their daily intake or 2 Tablespoons per bird worth of goodies.

I toss a bit of scratch around the run to give mine something to do...literally encouraging them to scratch.
Fresh fruits and veggies are another treat mine enjoy like cucumber, tomatoes, squash, grapes, apples....you get the idea.

Never give food that has molded or is spoiled. Botulism is serious and best avoided.

Layer feed is sold as a complete feed, so they technically they don't need anything else. However, giving a bit of scratch or meal worms is perfectly fine, as long as you aren't going crazy with it. I think the chickens appreciate some variety in their diet.

If you have high producing commercial type hens, what you're giving is probably ok. If you have other breeds, supplementation is wise. This is what the American Livestock Conservancy recommend:

"Feed requirements: Heritage breeds of chicken (especially heavy or dual purpose breeds) require a more nutritionally complete feed ration than their commercial counterparts, in order to fully achieve their potential size and productivity. Many of the common rations found in feed stores are formulated for commercial hybrid birds which are selected to grow well with less protein in their diets. Often producers can find appropriate levels of protein for Heritage chicks in game bird or turkey starter and grower diets."
https://livestockconservancy.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/Heritage_Chicken_Feed_Guidelines.pdf

Mixing things into their pellets makes the nutritional value drop if what's added is not exactly equal to what you are feeding.

Giving treats in moderation is fine and can be a fun way to interact with your birds. By "in moderation" I mean limited to about 10% of their daily intake or 2 Tablespoons per bird worth of goodies.

I toss a bit of scratch around the run to give mine something to do...literally encouraging them to scratch.
Fresh fruits and veggies are another treat mine enjoy like cucumber, tomatoes, squash, grapes, apples....you get the idea.

Never give food that has molded or is spoiled. Botulism is serious and best avoided.

Thank you for the tip. I grew a lot of cucumbers in my garden this year I had no idea that I could give them as a treat or grapes and apples. How about bananas? I always end up with over ripe bananas that no one ends up eating in the house.
Thank you

Thank you for the tip. I grew a lot of cucumbers in my garden this year I had no idea that I could give them as a treat or grapes and apples. How about bananas? I always end up with over ripe bananas that no one ends up eating in the house.
Thank you

Yes to bananas! There are many things they enjoy from the garden like cabbage, swiss chard, bell peppers, melons, pumpkins and any trimmings from our own meal prep of those things.

My flock is rather large with 30 birds as far as backyard flocks are concerned so I am able to give entire melons. For smaller flocks a portion may be (should be) quite a bit smaller.

Yes to bananas! There are many things they enjoy from the garden like cabbage, swiss chard, bell peppers, melons, pumpkins and any trimmings from our own meal prep of those things.

My flock is rather large with 30 birds as far as backyard flocks are concerned so I am able to give entire melons. For smaller flocks a portion may be (should be) quite a bit smaller.
Wow I had no idea !! Im going to be sure next year to plant extras for the hens!! Thank u for the suggestions!

Most layer feeds are in the 16% protein range, and they are designed for small breed high egg producing hens in confinement, who eat nothing else. For birds in most backyard flocks, who might be larger, molting, young, old, not laying many eggs, whatever, An all flock feed that's 20% protein, with less calcium, is usually best. Oyster shell in a separate dish for the laying birds, and then some lower protein treats will be fine.
Our birds free range when possible, so they can get some worms and bugs, and plants, and a bit of scratch sometimes so they learn to come when called. In winter (coming right up!) there's not much for them outside, and they hate snow anyway.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom