Foods that may cause diarrhea in chickens.

cjpines

Songster
5 Years
Apr 30, 2014
Placerville, CA
I'm wondering if anyone knows of any foods, fruits or veggies that may cause diarrhea in a chicken.

I'm wondering if too may raisins, pasta, bananas, grapes, etc. may cause it?

Just checking as not to feed too much of anything.

Thank you group, couldn't raise chickens without you.

A general rule of thumb is no more than 10 % of a diet should be comprised of 'treats'. Radical changes in diet can cause gastrointestinal problems.

Two things i've noticed, tomatoes and cucumbers cause diarrhea in one of my chickens, I think she loves them and eats too much and the other girls don't get as much. It is usually gone the next day or two.

Two things i've noticed, tomatoes and cucumbers cause diarrhea in one of my chickens, I think she loves them and eats too much and the other girls don't get as much. It is usually gone the next day or two.
Oh,my I agree with you.

How do we keep the food separate from the others that have no problems, Hum?

Diarrhea is usually a bacteria induced runny bowel product with a gross odor. It's usually associated with illness.

Now, if what you're really referring to is watery poop, just about any food with a high water content, including fermented feed with a high water consistency, can result in very runny poop. I've noticed my flock gets especially runny poop when eating fresh squash. Chickens have a funny way of producing urine, and usually it's in the form of a dry turd. However, when they consume large amounts of water, during hot weather, say, or they eat things that force more water into their intestines than usual, it sort of overwhelms the system, and the turds no longer come out so conveniently dry.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of any foods, fruits or veggies that may cause diarrhea in a chicken.

I'm wondering if too may raisins, pasta, bananas, grapes, etc. may cause it?

Just checking as not to feed too much of anything.

Thank you group, couldn't raise chickens without you.
Too much fruit and also cheese causes diarrhea in my girls.

I have access to lots and lots (50+ lbs a day) of tomatoes, broccoli, apples, oranges, onions that I want to feed, how do I go about it? I would like to actually supplement they're feed with it so? If they are used to this kind of stuff will their bodies take it better? what are the consequences? I should add that I will have 100 CX free range meat birds

Last edited:
Diarrhea is usually a bacteria induced runny bowel product with a gross odor. It's usually associated with illness.

Now, if what you're really referring to is watery poop, just about any food with a high water content, including fermented feed with a high water consistency, can result in very runny poop. I've noticed my flock gets especially runny poop when eating fresh squash. Chickens have a funny way of producing urine, and usually it's in the form of a dry turd. However, when they consume large amounts of water, during hot weather, say, or they eat things that force more water into their intestines than usual, it sort of overwhelms the system, and the turds no longer come out so conveniently dry.
There is no gross odor just watery poop green color. Maybe I will have to cut down on the veggies and fruit for awhile. tks

Back
Top Bottom