Are dead crickets okay to feed to chickens?

ChickGalSyl

In the Brooder
Aug 28, 2023
My friend has a pet gecko and she accidentally ordered too many crickets (food for the gecko), but some of them died. I was wondering if these would be safe to feed to my chickens? They died maybe a day ago. I was wondering because she told me that she can’t feed the dead ones to her gecko because of bacteria growing? If anyone knows anything about recently dead crickets and whether they’re safe for chickens to eat, please let me know!

On one hand: dead crickets aren't super nutritious on their own. You have to feed the crickets high nutrient foods before feeding them to the gecko, and most geckos only like live food to start with. The little bit of protein you'd get from giving them to your chickens wouldn't be worth it.
On the other hand: parasites and microbes are the leading cause of concern for geckos, since you don't know why the cricket died usually it can infect the geckos or other crickets or carry mold. Chickens have a fairly fragile respiratory system.
So...If it was a matter of a couple hours, maybe I would feed them to chickens, but consider that even the dead bugs you buy at the feed store have been treated in some way to prevent mold and bacteria. In this case I would just throw the dead ones out and not risk it.

Back
Top Bottom