Foot injuries on rooster

Hey-Hey2020

Hatching
Nov 30, 2021
If anyone has any familiarity with this, I'd appreciate the advice. I have a rooster that doesn't seem to be in any discomfort or pain. He's been scratching & walking fine, eating normally, and is just as active as he's always been, but after he was sitting in my lap recently, I noticed blood on my pants. It looks like he has been cutting his foot somehow. He has a cut on the toe of one foot, and the pad of the other foot looks as though it was injured previously, because the pad is swollen (I took pictures I downloaded on my computer, but I can't figure out how to post them). He shares his pen with his wife, and her feet look fine, so I can't figure out HOW he's getting injured. The bottom of the pen is dirt. I had someone help me trim his spurs yesterday, thinking maybe he's been injuring himself somehow.

I just read about Bumblefoot for the first time on this site. I read online that it's supposed to be painful, though, and he doesn't seem to be in any pain at all. Could it still be it? He was hatched out at my house, and while he does have a hen now, she doesn't have any foot problems. If it's contagious, I don't see how he could have come into contact with it.

Also, how worried should I be?

1st things first, you see this button here? That’s how you add pics.

Next thing, make sure that he doesn’t have dried scaly feet, and please make sure that the hen isn’t pecking his feet. Yes hens do that if there’s blood. I had this happen before, and these are called (I believe) scale mites. They make his feet crack once in a while, and blood will come out, usually at the toes, or around the center of his feet where the foot and the leg connect. It can also make it hard for the rooster to grow feathers on his legs, if he is a breed that will grow those feathers. Maybe it’s not this, maybe he just cut himself on something, but make sure the chicken isn’t pecking at it, it will make it worse, and once she learns, it’s REALLY hard to make them ”un-learn”. As soon as you see her peck his feet (if she does) cover the blood on his feet with some gauze or something similar. That’s what I did, and it worked. I hope he recovers well!

Attachments

• DC1BD5CF-AB40-495E-8147-D28FEF5375B8.jpeg
    DC1BD5CF-AB40-495E-8147-D28FEF5375B8.jpeg
    21 KB · Views: 6
I've seen legs with scaly mites before. This doesn't look like it. Since the wounds have been on the bottom of his feet, the hen hasn't been pecking at them. I looked at the bottom of our other rooster's feet (they've been kept separately for about a year now), and while he has no open wounds, the weird puffiness and scab is on the bottom of his feet, too. Here are the pictures of both roosters.

Attachments

• Hey-Hey RT foot.jpg
    Hey-Hey RT foot.jpg
    388.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Hey-Hey Lt foot.jpg
    Hey-Hey Lt foot.jpg
    437.1 KB · Views: 6
  • Atreyu RT foot.jpg
    Atreyu RT foot.jpg
    271 KB · Views: 6
  • Atreyu LT foot.jpg
    Atreyu LT foot.jpg
    295.9 KB · Views: 7
I've seen legs with scaly mites before. This doesn't look like it. Since the wounds have been on the bottom of his feet, the hen hasn't been pecking at them. I looked at the bottom of our other rooster's feet (they've been kept separately for about a year now), and while he has no open wounds, the weird puffiness and scab is on the bottom of his feet, too. Here are the pictures of both roosters.
That looks like bumble foot which is very common in chickens, quail, etc.

@Wyorp Rock @Overo Mare @azygous

Thank you so much, everyone! I took them to the vet, and it's confirmed: it IS bumblefoot. When I had Googled it, I'd gotten some false information on it, which is why I was doubting it. However, I've since learned that it's NOT contagious and the first sign ISN'T limping. I attached an informational pdf that another veterinary office sent me in case anyone is interested. I'd also read online that by the time the scab appeared that they'd have to have surgery. Thankfully, that's not true either. The vet said that they actually had a mild case and prescribed a cream called "Animax" to be rubbed onto the infected areas once a day for 10 days.

I also changed some things in their enclosures to hopefully soften things up a bit. For example, although the pen has a dirt floor, there's a narrow strip of concrete running under where the gate opens and one of the roosters paces right on that area, so I put a railroad tie there to block most of it. He'd also been roosting on top of a cage with a wooden top that was inside their hen house, so I replaced it with a roost I made yesterday (see picture). The second rooster is in a different enclosure and HAS to be put in a cage at night, (because his pen just isn't predator-proof enough), so I took a plastic type feed bag and filled it with sawdust to line the bottom of the cage. If anyone has any other tips or advice, please let me know :)

Attachments

• Bumblefoot.pdf
    678.1 KB · Views: 2
  • Resized_20211204_161057_6677.jpeg
    Resized_20211204_161057_6677.jpeg
    344.7 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom