Foot mystery getting worse

familyfarmer4

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 25, 2017
A couple days ago I noticed a hen in my coop that wasn’t putting any weight on one of her feet. It looked like all of the joints in that foot were bruised so I thought maybe we accidentally stepped on her foot somehow. I brought her in to the basement to give her some R & R in a warm place. This morning when I checked on her, both of her feet have gotten worse. It seems to start with deep looking bruises that then blister and pop. It’s been cold here so the hens have been locked in their coop. None of the other 49 are showing any kinda of symptoms. She is still eating and drinking, but will not put any weight on the one foot yet. When I brought her in she had just one scabbed area (on the foot she will stand on) that I treated and disinfected. The right foot is the one she is favoring. I don’t know why these blisters have developed over the past two days. I’ve never seen anything like this with my chickens before

Attachments

• A8060232-6B51-4A4C-91D3-D359A1FCEDBF.jpeg
    A8060232-6B51-4A4C-91D3-D359A1FCEDBF.jpeg
    443.6 KB · Views: 13
This almost looks like frost bite to me. What are the temperatures where you live?
What are you using for a roost, is there any metal they coul sit on?

And do you provide water in the coop she might have stepped in and gotten wet feet?

This almost looks like frost bite to me. What are the temperatures where you live?
What are you using for a roost, is there any metal they coul sit on?

And do you provide water in the coop she might have stepped in and gotten wet feet?
The one foot that she hasn’t been putting weight on didn’t have any damage to the skin when I found her. Only thing I could see was bruising at the joints under the skin. Otherwise her foot looked normal. They have a wood roost, and are in an insulated coop with bedding.

Back
Top Bottom