Foot rot (?) ok to butcher birds?

POC

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 14, 2008
Southern Indiana
My roos all seem to have some kind of ailment involving their toes and feet. Some are inflammed, others have had toes turn black, shrivel and fall off! I don't know what this is....frostbite?
Is it ok to butcher these birds?
I can post some pics later on tonight.
Thank,
Patrick

I dont know why their feet would turn necrotic and fall off! Isn't Indiana warm this time of year? Did they get their toes frozen in ice a few weeks ago? If so sometimes that how long it takes for toes/waddles/combs to die and turn black -then sometimes fall off-my poor roo had a fewof his comb spikes frozen this winter and lost 2-3 of them-I put a little vaseline on them and it stopped the freezing-

i would not eat them if they have had an infection...but thats just me.. i WOULD do something to put them out of misery though...vet or cull...

Thanks for the replies.
The chickens show no signs of distress

Here's the pics.

036.jpg

035.jpg

Thanks again,
Patrick

first picture not so bad-second ouch. I am not an expert but I work in the animal field. My experience with necrotic toes-tails-digits etc...is to cut them off-yes it sounds bad but it is more painful for the animal to leave it like that because it will continue to grow up the toes and into the heel and leg-I deal with rodents..and were not sure why but when the tails start to do this from the tips. we put them into a short sleep and cut the dead part off and put a few small stitches or supe glue with a pinch on the end of the decapitated end. Then we treat them with neosporin adn betadine for a week or so. It all starts with a small irriatation-one small open wound..etc..and it will not get left alone. It always does the trick-I'm not saying to do this to your chicken I'm just telling you what I know on this subject..good luck

They are safe to eat. Where are you from? It very well could be frosbite from the cold winter. Or it could have been cut and became infected which would turn it this color. Foot rot is on the pad of the foot and common with broilers when they are raised in confinment from all of the amonia. It literaly burns holes in their feet.

But it's safe to eat as long as the infection is in the toes and foot. Either way I would cull or get medical help to relieve her of the stress.

Oh ya, I know of larry. I was young when he played but do remember him. I've watched plenty of old highlight of him.

It very well could be frostbite.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom