Foot swelling no bumblefoot scab

Jan 26, 2021
We have a 4 month old Ameraucana with a swollen right foot. It’s been swollen for a month now and she has a limp. We treated it as bumblefoot with soaks and wrapping but it never changed and no scab appeared. We stopped bandaging it after 5 days because the bandage seemed to be doing more harm than good. She has been moved to a new pen where she does not have to run or roost.
Our local co-op suggested liquamycin injection (LA-200), but we have been reluctant to go that route.

Is it bumblefoot or something else?
Should I inject with liquamycin?
Where should I inject the liquamycin?
How much should I inject?

Attachments

• AFF5997B-98FC-478E-A83B-044A6CC509B9.jpeg
    AFF5997B-98FC-478E-A83B-044A6CC509B9.jpeg
    362.9 KB · Views: 54
  • BC8D20C1-4E20-42AE-8661-90C3BA98AFFB.jpeg
    BC8D20C1-4E20-42AE-8661-90C3BA98AFFB.jpeg
    372.8 KB · Views: 30
Pododermatitis (bumblefoot) usually affects the lower portion of the feet, near the plantar surface, from the picture it appears the swelling is higher up on the leg near the distal aspect of the tarsometatarsus. There are several conditions that could cause swelling in that region, and with chickens, a bacterial infection, likely either staph or mycoplasma synovia is possible. Gout due to excess uric acid deposit, viral arthritis, deep trauma to the leg are also possibilities.

With swelling, having a vet perform fine-needle aspiration on the area for cytological examination, and bacterial testing is always a preferred route as you can gain valuable information pertaining to if/ and what bacteria are present, and which antibiotic might be most helpful. Additionally, radiographs can be done to determine if there is some sort of break or luxation in the leg. Here is a veterinary directory link:

https://www.metzerfarms.com/Veterinarians.cfm?CustID=27843596

If a vet is not an option, you could treat by elimination, and start her on an antibiotic and see if the swelling reduces. I personally have never heard of using Liquamycin for a bone infection, for that, you may try enrofloxacin, tylosin, or clindamycin. All can be obtained online in fish or bird form online without an RX.

Keeping her on soft grounds, soaking the foot in cool Epsom salts water, and adding B vitamins to her daily diet may be beneficial in managing the problem. Others might have more suggestions.

Last edited:
Pododermatitis (bumblefoot) usually affects the lower portion of the feet, near the plantar surface, from the picture it appears the swelling is higher up on the leg near the distal aspect of the tarsometatarsus. There are several conditions that could cause swelling in that region, and with chickens, a bacterial infection, likely either staph or mycoplasma synovia is possible. Gout due to excess uric acid deposit, viral arthritis, deep trauma to the leg are also possibilities.

With swelling, having a vet perform fine-needle aspiration on the area for cytological examination, and bacterial testing is always a preferred route as you can gain valuable information pertaining to if/ and what bacteria are present, and which antibiotic might be most helpful. Additionally, radiographs can be done to determine if there is some sort of break or luxation in the leg. Here is a veterinary directory link:

https://www.metzerfarms.com/Veterinarians.cfm?CustID=27843596

If a vet is not an option, you could treat by elimination, and start her on an antibiotic and see if the swelling reduces. I personally have never heard of using Liquamycin for a bone infection, for that, you may try enrofloxacin, tylosin, or clindamycin. All can be obtained online in fish or bird form online without an RX.

Keeping her on soft grounds, soaking the foot in cool Epsom salts water, and adding B vitamins to her daily diet may be beneficial in managing the problem. Others might have more suggestions.
Wow. Thanks so much for this information. I appreciate your confidence. We decided to take Swan (the ameraucana) into the vet. The diagnosis: inconclusive but potentially a mild staph infection and no reason to drain or cut open. The vet prescribed a pain killer and anti-inflamatory (metacam) and an antibiotic (sulfameth/trimeth). He also said to give her berries and tomatoes so she could gain some weight. Again, thank you so much for all your help. This site did not disappoint!

Last edited:
Wow. Thanks so much for this information. I appreciate your confidence. We decided to take Swan (the ameraucana) into the vet. The diagnosis: pododermatitis (bumblefoot) but such a mild case that there would be no reason to drain or cut open. Instead, the vet prescribed a pain killer and anti-inflamatory (metacam) and a antibiotic (sulfameth/trimeth). He also said to give her berries and tomatoes so she could gain some weight. Again, thank you so much for all your help. This site did not disappoint!

Glad to hear you saw the vet and found it was infected. Thanks for the update!

The pain killer helped. Not sure about the antibiotic. Maybe it will take more time for the swelling to go down. She is still limping on it. One good thing is she seems to be eating more.

Back
Top Bottom