For a friend. What breed please?

This is the only picture. The owner is being told they will not live thru winter without a heated enclosure. I corrected that for him but I didn't know what breed he had to be sure they were cold hardy.
They'll be fine without heat, unless they're in Antarctica or something.:D
Both breeds are cold hardy.

I'd call it a production red not Rhode Island Red. Hatchery quality.

Ensure the coop has venting located high up. If a slant roof then vent lower and upper to allow air to rush in along roof line and exit moisture out high side. It's not the cold that injures chickens in winter, it's the moisture turning to frost on them that does. Proper venting out of moisture at roof line is all you need. No drafts on birds, clean air that wont develop frost.

Illinois, Chicago.
Oh so it does get cold- as they are still young heat wouldn’t hurt but it will probably be ok to leave it for now. I visited ur area back in august I believe? Anyway it wasn’t cold so I couldn’t get a first hand impression on how it feels. My chickens do fine in our winter even if that is minimum 20 degrees lol

they should be ok, maybe check out the Illinois thread (if that is a thing) to see if others have had the same issues, lookat what they decided to do. IMO the pullets will be ok

I'd call it a production red not Rhode Island Red. Hatchery quality.

Ensure the coop has venting located high up. If a slant roof then vent lower and upper to allow air to rush in along roof line and exit moisture out high side. It's not the cold that injures chickens in winter, it's the moisture turning to frost on them that does. Proper venting out of moisture at roof line is all you need. No drafts on birds, clean air that wont develop frost.
Just out of curiosity, what makes you say Production Red? :)

Because the bird is so far from the standards to be Rhode Island Red. Hatchery quality is what it is but when certain breeds become too detached from the standard to be the breed it no longer is. Poor lacing in Wyandotte in one thing, hatchery quality, but there is nothing other than single comb and yellow skin that makes those production reds a Rhode Island Red.

Back
Top Bottom