For Chickens?????

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by DENALI, Mar 4, 2008.

1. DENALI

DENALI Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Now dont get me wrong i am been told i am nuts for showing Akitas for the last 20 years, and i have been called even worse when the unsuspecting ask me the price for a show pup ($1500-$2500) but i got to checking out eggbid.com and came across this auction http://eggbid.com/listings/details/index.cfm?itemnum=1204608606
    Not
    knowing chickens could someone elaborate as to what has the bidders so interested with 5 days left? Thanks in advance for your (i am sure you will be kind to a newbie [​IMG] ) input! [​IMG]

2. hooligan

hooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    Pure insanity!

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

As with any specialty animal... they can get expensive. So it wold be just like your situation and the dogs. I've even heard of koi going for tens of thousands of dollars. And that's "just a fish".

4. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Just like the dog world. Shows won by parents, breed color rarity, and breeder reputation all go together to determine price. I have seen a single show bird go for over $1000.00

5. FarmerDenise

FarmerDenise Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2007
    Sonoma County
    Those gotta be some very "special" chickens.

And I thought paying $4.95 for a sexed chick at the local feed store was a lot. [​IMG]

6. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Breeders can get a little insane at times. I would hate to say what I have shelled out for a few of mine.

7. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

Hmm. I'd say that's a bit much, considering I've seen much nicer mille fleur cochins. But, it's a new variety, and people want to get their hands on it before it really looks right I suppose. [​IMG] I can't wait to see how the mille fleur cochins look in a few years, once people have been able to spend more time on it. Should be pretty.

8. SloCrevs

SloCrevs Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    Central Coast, CA
    There's another post on here as well about the same subject. I'm pretty experienced when it comes to cochins, and those are very poor cochins. Their type is terrible, and the color is poor. The female is way, way, way too light, and the male looks like someone threw red, black, and white paint at him. I might pay $20 for that pair, but no more.

9. joanie_maine

joanie_maine Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2008
    Temple, ME
    I was surprised at the bids on the mille fleur cochins.

I guess the color comes first and the type will come along as others breed these birds....hopefully.

10. Stormhorse23

Stormhorse23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Indiana
    They are pretty, but terrible as far as quality goes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by