for securing hasps-carabiner vs leash clip

gale65

Songster
9 Years
Aug 19, 2010
north central indiana
My Coop
My Coop
What is better? I am using some nest box plans I got online and it shows that they use a carabiner in the hasp of the nest box door. We've always used leash clips so far. I want to use whichever one is a challenge for a critter to get open. Which do you prefer?

Sersly ?
ep.gif

subscribe to thread..check,

If your ONLY choice was one of these two...which one? I don't want to mess with locks and keys (which would almost certainly end up lost and a padlock is a pita to open in 10 degree weather) and I have a feeling the majority of people don't use a keyed lock on their coops.

leash clips can freeze up. I would invest in a couple of inexpensive Master Locks that are keyed the same. The raccoon won't figure out how to use a key LOL, so attach it nearby out of the weather with a length of cord or wire (unless you need to be concerned about two-legged predators) and you'll always have it handy.

I chose caribeeners, I have a hard time believing that a coon could defeat it. It's tedious enough I've wondered if my 6 yr old will be able to open it. I didn't want to go locks knowing that my children will just lose the key and they will be the primary egg gatherers
smile.png

I have locks on all of my coops. I use the ones that use a combination instead of a key. They are all set to the same code to make it easy to remember. Locks deter the two legged predators as well as the 4 legged kind.

I use both, but have more of the clips and think they would be more of a challenge. Over time they get hard for me to open. Haven't had anything get them off yet. All the big doors have two or three. I like having more than one fastener for them to get off in order to get in.

I do have hotwire around the runs now and two LGDs so nothing gets a chance to work on getting them open. But didn't have any problems before and the coons were around.

Back
Top Bottom