For the clever (or experienced)

Martin83

Hatching
Mar 28, 2017
Hi all,

I'm new and couldn't get info on what I needed.

Here the calculation I need:

I need to sustain 16 people with meat and eggs. 16 chickens for meat and 224 eggs per week.

How many chickens do I need for them to sustain the demand for both and keep same numbers.

Kind regards,

Martin

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC!

Honestly, those numbers are a little unrealistic. You're going to need hundreds of birds - at least 300 or so - and constantly need to hatch more. Unless you have lots of huge freezers and do the meaties at one time. How much space do you have?

Hi and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us. Here's what I would do:

1. for meat, get broilers - they have around a 6-8 week turn around time from hatch to maturity. You will have to have a number of groups of broilers on the go at the same time, in order to provide the meat required.

2. Hybrid layers are your best best. For the number of eggs suggested, I'd go for at least 250 birds.

Greetings from Kansas, Martin, and :welcome! Pleased you joined our community. On top of what others have said, there are some more variables. What does sustain mean? How often will you be eating chicken! 1x/week...3x/week? Are you prepared to "stretch" the chickens into things like chicken and dumplings, etc.? Or are just talking like friend chicken? I know in my family we prefer roast over fried chicken. So we raise up way past the fryer stage and end of with birds that resemble small turkeys. Obviously that will feed more people than a 3 lb fryer. But there is more expense getting them to that size so..
Lots of details to consider. Hope you find the answers on BYC! Good luck with your poultry operation! :)

Ok, let's give a bit more details.

I live in South Africa and want to see what it takes to help a community sustain itself. Charity type project.

My calculation is based on 4 families of 4 eating 2 chickens per weak per family and 8 eggs per day per family (total of 8 chickens & 32 eggs per week).

The question: How many chickens do I need for chickens to deliver this demand and breed to keep the same numbers.

Even if it is 300 chickens, here in SA we have space. Another question I guess will be what size coup do I need?

Hope this will help.

Last edited:
Ok, let's give a bit more details.

I live in South Africa and want to see what it takes to help a community sustain itself. Charity type project.

My calculation is based on 4 families of 4 eating 2 chickens per weak per family and 8 eggs per day per family (total of 8 chickens & 32 eggs per week).

The question: How many chickens do I need for chickens to deliver this demand and breed to keep the same numbers.

Even if it is 300 chickens, here in SA we have space. Another question I guess will be what size coup do I need?

Hope this will help.
What an interesting project. - Have you heard of 'Heifer International' ? -- they proved flocks to those in need world wide to improve their lives. HIN may have answers - know exactly what chickens will thrive in that part of SA and even provide some flocks - also training for the families.
Good luck with it.

welcome-byc.gif

Your intro gave me flashbacks to middle school math class...I'm not any better at solving the quizzes now than I was back then so will leave it up to others to do the problem solving, lol.

Good luck with your project!

Math gave me hysterics
hide.gif
my love was English and Journalism. I don't think anyone can pin down a certain number because NO hen is going to lay 365 eggs a year, they also molt and when they do they stop laying. Without artificial lighting to extend daylight hours in winter, they will slow down or stop laying. With artificial lighting they will use up their eggs sooner and need to be replaced.

What about random attacks, birds that take ill, diseases that may be forthcoming, etc. etc. You know the drill "Don't count your eggs before they hatch." Chickens are not machines and you can't randomize them in any way. I don't believe the WATSON computer could handle all the variables and come out on top.

G’Day from down under Martin
frow.gif
Welcome!

As you have already received some great advice, I will just wish you all the best.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

Back
Top Bottom