For the MINIMALISTS - those who think less is more in chicken keeping - Please help

Pics
Don’t stress too much, you can always change things as you go, as long as the basic structure is sound. We’ve only had chickens for about two years now, and there is always something however minor…many small tweaks a few big tweaks…expect them and roll with it.
Like you wrote in your post, it’s nice to just sit and watch the hens and remember how simple life is for them and that you help make that possible! They truly are great entertainment 😂 and you’ll learn what they need soon enough 😊
@In the mtns @GetFitWithKrista

I changed so many things I had planned to do for a coop and run due to BYC: the ideas, suggestions, experience here. I was planning on a pallet coop, but am very happy so far with my hoop coop...and I built it myself with very little help.

IMG_20230224_142709366_HDR~2.jpg

Farming rodents for me is a cost of doing business that is aggravating and often difficult to avoid once we start confining the chickens. With my chickens on a maintenance diet only, the feed is put out so consumed in its entirety before dark. Being very lazy, I do not consistently put up feed after dark. What has worked is to make so feeder is on elevated platform in a large bowl that the chickens my fly up to and rodents cannot reach by climbing or jumping. That makes your feeding system more complicated and some chickens have to be more motivated by hunger than is ideal for egg production. being smart takes energy.
Picture?

This is a very good point. It is closer to nature for them.

So you're doing dead leaves in the run. I'll have to try this come fall. By then hopefully I'll have sorted some of this out. It sounds like a lot of people dump the coop and nesting box material into the run when they're ready to restock. Got it.

I'm in NJ so we get a balance of all seasons I would say. We got zero snow this year. Usually we get 1 or 2 mind storms.

My breeds are:
1 Dark Brahma
2 Easter Eggers
1 Cream Legbar
1 Olive Egger
Hopefully a silkie one day

What do you think?

There are two 11'w roost bars. "someone is mad at someone else" - hysterical. Photo included.

Okay, we can account for this in our plans, thank you. We also have to change extending the lip up 12" to accomodate for the deep bedding. Photo attached. Do you think 12" is enough?
Just a suggestion: if you're planning on using 2x4s for roosts rotate the boards so the widest side (4") is up, and therefore what they roost upon.

Just a suggestion: if you're planning on using 2x4s for roosts rotate the boards so the widest side (4") is up, and therefore what they roost upon.
Good tip. That way they can stand on it and snuggle down over their feet. Grabbing a 2x4 the other way also just always seemed like it would be uncomfortable to me.

I personally used tree branches since I had some though, so this is what I have read/imagined and not personal observation.

Good tip. That way they can stand on it and snuggle down over their feet. Grabbing a 2x4 the other way also just always seemed like it would be uncomfortable to me.

I personally used tree branches since I had some though, so this is what I have read/imagined and not personal observation.
Me too. I use actually tree branches too. It works well

Me too. I use actually tree branches too. It works well

For me it boiled down to the fact that pine and scrub oak saplings are weeds on this property while 2x4's cost money.

The thing with branches/saplings is to be sure that they are thick enough.

We don't measure it exactly, but make sure that they're no thinner than the diameter of my wrist and upt to the diameter of my ankle. :D

I've used tree branches in the past but don't want to damage the integrity of the hoop by cutting through the hardware cloth to mount branches.

I have READ here about using 2x4 perches with the 4" side as the flat part of the perch, and I'm integrating the idea in my current situation.

For me it boiled down to the fact that pine and scrub oak saplings are weeds on this property while 2x4's cost money.

The thing with branches/saplings is to be sure that they are thick enough.

We don't measure it exactly, but make sure that they're no thinner than the diameter of my wrist and upt to the diameter of my ankle. :D
Whatever will fit through 2x4 welded wire spread apart for me

Back
Top Bottom