For the MINIMALISTS - those who think less is more in chicken keeping - Please help

Pics
Oh man, I have a 3' fence in my yard. I was hoping to be able to let them out to that area with my supervision.
Chickens that fly CAN fly much higher than 3'. But there is a big difference in what they can do and what they actually do. I keep mine in a 4' high electric netting. My chickens regularly fly up to a 5' roost but they don't fly out of the netting. Why? They don't want to.
Which story should I tell. One time a hen got out. An amorous rooster had her trapped against the netting and she went vertical to escape him and came down on the wrong side of the netting. As I was trying to herd her to a gate to let her back in she flew over the netting to rejoin her buddies. She wanted to get back to her buddies and I was harassing her so she flew in. She did not fly back out though she knew she could.

I don't know what your fence looks like or how big that area is. Several people on this forum keep their chickens contained or keep them out of a vegetable garden with 3' high fencing. Some people find that 5' high fencing is not high enough.

If the space inside that fence is small they are more likely to get out. Another case where the more room the better. If they know there is something good on the other side they can learn to fly over the fence. Chickens like to perch. Something that happens is that if the top of your fence looks like a good perch they might fly up there because they like to perch. Once up there who knows which side they may fly down on. If they can't see where they are going to land they generally don't fly.

None of this determines what your chickens will actually do. Even if you fail most or all of these things your 3' fence may still keep them contained, especially if you are out there with them. My suggestion is to try it and see what happens.

My dimensions are 11.5'w x 9'd for the whole structure for 5 or 6 chickies. The coop is 11.5'w x 3'd. The run is 11.5'w x 6'd. I could probably make it a little deeper but wider would be a huge additional cost.
One of the fallacies of the magic numbers people use for coop or run space is that chickens don't recognize a difference in run space or coop space. To them space is space, wherever it is. To me your coop and run space together is your space system. How you manage that system determines a lot. What that means is how much of the total system is available to them when they need it.

Your coop space by itself exceeds the room most people quote for six chickens. Your run space by itself exceeds the room most people quote. The total together should be enough, especially if the pop door is open so it is all available.

Relax, you are looking good.

Does the wooden fence belong to you? If so, you could add some "floppy" fence to the top to deter them from trying to hop over it. The floppy fence can be that black plastic deer fencing. It's not sturdy for them to sit on and hop over the other side. I have leghorns so my chicken yard fence is 7 ft talk deer fence.
But I do let them out into my yard with a 3ft chain link. I taught them when they were babies to come away from the fence so they never really tried it out.

Here's my ramp. It's covered with a rubber treaded mat.
I like the rubber mat idea.
Here is my set up. I could probably have done without anything and just had the pop door lower (inside they actually have to jump up to get to it) but I gave them a blue staircase because nothing makes me giggle more than seeing them March down the steps in the morning or March back up at night.
I get such a kick out of it.
So the staircase is really for me!
175290BB-0E5A-4B93-976D-E3849F12DF46.jpeg

Last edited:
Does the wooden fence belong to you? If so, you could add some "floppy" fence to the top to deter them from trying to hop over it. The floppy fence can be that black plastic deer fencing. It's not sturdy for them to sit on and hop over the other side. I have leghorns so my chicken yard fence is 7 ft talk deer fence.
But I do let them out into my yard with a 3ft chain link. I taught them when they were babies to come away from the fence so they never really tried it out.
Was here to say something similar. You can also do step-in metal posts and chicken wire.

Part of our fencing is 3 ft chain link and we had one “adventure chicken” who kept hopping it. I literally just cut some thin branches off our trees and wove them into the chain link so they stuck out the top every 6 inches apart. Took a couple hours but was free and worked. 🤷‍♀️

But our other chickens never even tried.

Maybe have a quick chat with the neighbor about how they would feel if your chickens made a break for it once or twice before you commit to buy a fencing solution? If they would be upset, you want to fence it beforehand. If they are cool with it being an experiment, then wait and see.

My experience is that usually the fatter breeds are lazier.

It doesn't belong to me. And 2 small dogs live next door. I guess I'll have to give it a go while I'm out there with them and see how they do.

Chickens that fly CAN fly much higher than 3'. But there is a big difference in what they can do and what they actually do. I keep mine in a 4' high electric netting. My chickens regularly fly up to a 5' roost but they don't fly out of the netting. Why? They don't want to.
Yep, I'll give it a try.

One of the fallacies of the magic numbers people use for coop or run space is that chickens don't recognize a difference in run space or coop space. To them space is space, wherever it is.
Good point, it is all liveable space for them. Thanks

Was here to say something similar. You can also do step-in metal posts and chicken wire.

Part of our fencing is 3 ft chain link and we had one “adventure chicken” who kept hopping it. I literally just cut some thin branches off our trees and wove them into the chain link so they stuck out the top every 6 inches apart. Took a couple hours but was free and worked. 🤷‍♀️

But our other chickens never even tried.

Maybe have a quick chat with the neighbor about how they would feel if your chickens made a break for it once or twice before you commit to buy a fencing solution? If they would be upset, you want to fence it beforehand. If they are cool with it being an experiment, then wait and see.

My experience is that usually the fatter breeds are lazier.
Hmm. Do you think they will stay away from the fence given that there are dogs next door? We also have wild turkeys in the area who think they own everything. And a hawk. Possibly a possum. I guess we'll see who else comes to visit once the chickens come home.

I like the rubber mat idea.
Here is my set up. I could probably have done without anything and just had the pop door lower (inside they actually have to jump up to get to it) but I have them a blue staircase because nothing makes me giggle more than seeing them March down the steps in the morning or March back up at night.
I get such a kick out of it.
So the staircase is really for me!
View attachment 3439210
I can see how that would be entertaining ha ha. We may have to lower our coop down 12" to accommodate for the deep bedding. I have to check the plans to see how close that gets us to the ground. Maybe they could fly in.

Back
Top Bottom