For the MINIMALISTS - those who think less is more in chicken keeping - Please help

Chickens are flock animals and being away from their flock adds additional stress to any issues they have. Additionally, separation creates the need for a potentially difficult re-integration.

If it's at all possible to treat her within the coop/run or, at least, in a place where she can still see and hear the others that is the best practice.

Sometimes they will eat wet feed and it helps get them hydrated, too.
Sorry you have one not feeling well.

In hot weather (90F+), I give my flock electrolytes once a week and I often make mash with some of the solution. They LOVE wet mash.

Give her some electrolytes and some sugar water. If you have Nutridrench that will cover both.
See if you can get her to drink it on her own. Sometimes if you put a drop on the end or side of their beak it will encourage them.
You can also use a dropper to put some carefully at the front of their beak.
The above is assuming she has heat stress. How hot has it been?
I just checked on her and she's really out of it. I gave her food and changed her water but she's not going for either. She pooped white liquid. I'm going to get the Nutridrench this morning. It's been in the mid to upper 90s and very humid lately. Thanks for the info. I'll report back soon.

Chickens are flock animals and being away from their flock adds additional stress to any issues they have. Additionally, separation creates the need for a potentially difficult re-integration.

If it's at all possible to treat her within the coop/run or, at least, in a place where she can still see and hear the others that is the best practice.
I wasn't sure if she just needed to cool off for a bit. I will put her back out there this morning.
In hot weather (90F+), I give my flock electrolytes once a week and I often make mash with some of the solution. They LOVE wet mash.
I will make some mash for her when I get the Nutridrench. Thanks so much for your help.

@RoyalChick - @3KillerBs - @NanaK
I gave my sick chicken the Nutridrench. She perked up a tiny bit but is still very sleepy. She won't eat. She's been out with the other chickens since this morning. The other chickens are fine. I also made a wet mash with some Nutridrench for the others. What else should I look out for?
You might want to create a thread in the emergencies forum and get some folk more expert than me to weigh in. All I can think of is to put some dozen water bottles near where ahe is sitting so she gets some cooling benefit and supportive care with liquid and electrolytes. Eating is less immediately critical than fluids and electrolytes. And Nutridrench has some energy in the form of molasses.

Back
Top Bottom