For the MINIMALISTS - those who think less is more in chicken keeping - Please help

Pics
Make sure yall run all the electric in conduit and GFCI outlets. Fire is a real hazard. I wouldn't use heat lamp bulbs inside a coop either. I know, I know "we'll be fine". Well it only takes one time.
You can search here about how many people have burned their stuff down. I've been dealing with fire, fighting it, suppressing it or preventing it for the better part of 29 years now. I've seen it time and time again
My husband did some electrical work for a while before moving into his current field. He can probably figure out a good system. Yes on the conduit and GFCI.

I wouldn't put that in the coop, goodness. I'm sure my neighbors would love a fire ripping through the neighborhood. Really appreciate the heads up.

Putting a little salt in the water would prevent it it from freezing. Does anyone know if this would be bad for the chickens? I could use a nice pink salt with some minerals

Putting a little salt in the water would prevent it it from freezing. Does anyone know if this would be bad for the chickens? I could use a nice pink salt with some minerals

No salt. It's not good for them.

IMO, one should always offer plain, pure water at all times.

Even if you're giving them some kind of supplement (I give them electrolytes once a week in blistering hot weather (over 90F)), you should offer that in a separate waterer.

So to be honest, I change the nesting boxes when I get a dirty egg or if they look a bit sparse (like if the hens pushed the wood shavings out by accident). Never paid attention to how often that is?

I really like your laid back chicken mom attitude. I'm taking a page from your playbook.

Speaking of eggs, do you have to do anything to the eggs before you eat them? Like disinfect or is soap and water enough to wash them?

I really like your laid back chicken mom attitude. I'm taking a page from your playbook.

Speaking of eggs, do you have to do anything to the eggs before you eat them? Like disinfect or is soap and water enough to wash them?

Their natural bloom protects them.

If they look nice and clean I just use them as is.

If they're slightly dirty then I will wash them immediately before using.

If they're really dirty I wash them as soon as I collect them, put them in the fridge, and plan to use them promptly -- if nothing else I can always hard-boil them and make deviled eggs.

Their natural bloom protects them.

If they look nice and clean I just use them as is.

If they're slightly dirty then I will wash them immediately before using.

If they're really dirty I wash them as soon as I collect them, put them in the fridge, and plan to use them promptly -- if nothing else I can always hard-boil them and make deviled eggs.

Ah, thank you. Easy enough.

I've only been on it for a few days and I've learned an incredible amount. I'm grateful.

Cool. I like the idea of using what's available around your home and property. Do you just shred up your mail and such to use?

It sounds like we've got kind of a similar setup since we've got small flocks. How long would you say this takes you?

Thanks so much for sharing the details of your "operation." It gives me a better picture of what to expect.
The fluffing under the roost takes about 15 seconds, I keep a 'poking stick' close by, and I have to open the coop currently to take the eggs so I just do it then. I don't do it every day though! And yes, before I got chickens I just shredded a lot newspaper by hand whenever I had a few spare moments (most people use a shredder) and put it into a big bag. It's been great and I haven't had to add a ton over the winter, just every so often a bit to the coop. When I scoop out the run in a few weeks I plan on putting all the coop contents into the run to break down so that when I scoop it out again before the winter it will be broken down.

Wait I'm confused. How would they get into the coop without a ladder? What could I use instead of a ramp or ladder? Can you send a photo
I also don't have a ramp/ladder but I built a few floating steps that they just hop up on.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-03-20 at 21.13.22.png
    Screenshot 2023-03-20 at 21.13.22.png
    999.6 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom