For the new folks that haven't experienced a molt yet.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Happy Chooks, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Indigosands

Indigosands Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2012
    Yucca Valley, CA
    All of my flock is less than a year old, so this has been very informative. I was thinking that next fall will be my girl's first "real" moult. Do you all switch to game or grower feed during the moult? Offer calcium on the side or not? Any treats or extra goodies you recommend?

2. ChickadeeRanch

ChickadeeRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2012
    My hen is molted and it's nearing winter! what do I do?!

3. mrsc1951

mrsc1951 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Largo, Florida
    She will be fine - I know you think she is going to freeze but she won't. They have been doing this for generations.

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I mixed Flockraiser (20% protein) with Game Bird Starter (30% protein) this year and they are growing in their feathers much faster. I always have calcium on the side, as they all don't molt at the same time. I still have some birds that will molt that have not started yet.

As for treats: Mealworms are extremely high in protein, so they are the best treat in my opinion. (you can buy them freeze dried so you don't have to deal with live ones) Also any meat scraps, chopped small. I've given my chickens leftover fish that we didn't eat. Tuna works too. Dry cat food in very small quantities as it's loaded with sodium.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  5. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    Thanks for the feeding info. Good advise!

6. mrsc1951

mrsc1951 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Largo, Florida
    Thanks for sharing your knowledge Happy Chooks! I grew up on a farm and of course we had chickens but they were "livestock" not pets like mine are now. Plus I resented having to go gather eggs, etc. and we had a mean old roo that always pecked me. LOL Never my mom but he always got me and my little brother.

7. mothernature

mothernature Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2011
    Thank you so much for the photo. I have a Rhode Island Red named "Blaze" and she looks worse than your photos. I've been very concerned about the cold, damp weather and brought her into our basement. She is also towards the bottom of the pecking order, and I'm sure the pecks from the other girls hurt. She is also one of my best layers. All my other girls seem to be molting gradually. Is there anything additional I can do to help her along?

8. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
  9. Melabella

Melabella Overrun With Chickens

Jun 2, 2011
  10. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Sure - click on the post # in the upper right corner of the post you want. Copy the URL and paste it in a post or PM.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by