Done molting but not laying again yet

AlliJackson

Chirping
May 4, 2021
Chattanooga, TN
I've got 3 hens (araucana blends) that are about 2.5 years old. They just finished a pretty rough molting season (they looked so pitiful!). They're no longer molting, but only 1 started laying again. Well, now she hasn't laid in about 2 weeks. The others haven't started laying yet since they're hard molt. Is there anything I need to do, or are they just being freeloaders right now?

Most likely they will not lay again for the winter. Most chickens (under semi-natural conditions) do not lay when the days get shorter in winter.

Only a percentage of first year pullets lay in winter. Very few mature hens do.

Most likely they will not lay again for the winter. Most chickens (under semi-natural conditions) do not lay when the days get shorter in winter.

Only a percentage of first year pullets lay in winter. Very few mature hens do.
So they're basically just freeloaders during the winter? I don't remember them not laying last year

So they're basically just freeloaders during the winter? I don't remember them not laying last year
You are lucky then. In my experience and from what others have commented, backyard hens rarely lay in winter. Here is my experience:

<1 year pullets: 4 of 10 laid in winter
1+ year old hens: 1 of 10 laid in one winter (that hen didn't lay her first winter)

Commercial egg producers create very artificial conditions to get winter eggs for the stores. The hens are kept inside in controlled conditions with artificially long light in winter.

Also, just be aware that your hens have already reached their peak laying years. Next year, they will most likely show somewhat of a decline in egg production and after that, the decline will be very noticeable.

You are lucky then. In my experience and from what others have commented, backyard hens rarely lay in winter. Here is my experience:

<1 year pullets: 4 of 10 laid in winter
1+ year old hens: 1 of 10 laid in one winter (that hen didn't lay her first winter)

Commercial egg producers create very artificial conditions to get winter eggs for the stores. The hens are kept inside in controlled conditions with artificially long light in winter.

Also, just be aware that your hens have already reached their peak laying years. Next year, they will most likely show somewhat of a decline in egg production and after that, the decline will be very noticeable.
Guess I'd better get ready to get some chicks this Spring then. Thank you so much for your input!

They are waiting for the light. Bright sunny days will help. Overcast days not so much. The older the hen, the longer the break from laying, but generally the eggs are bigger. You tend to get less eggs with older birds, but bigger eggs.

I have two that are laying now, technically they are laying, but not every day.

Back
Top Bottom