for those buying ameraucana on auctions etc.....a guide

Most certainly, you need to specifically ask if each color is separated. I've read lots of auctions that say real/pure Ameraucanas. But when you ask them they say they have several of the varieties in a pen together. Once you mix the colors they are just Easter Eggers.

Muffs and beard on a blue ameraucana pullet:

IMG_1893.jpg

Ameraucanas always have a tail:

IMG_1895.jpg

Tufts on an araucana cockerel:

IMG_1835.jpg

Tufts and rumpless.

IMG_1592.jpg

LOVING THIS TOPIC YA'LL!

no matter what you are buying ask to see a current photo. ask to see egg color and photos of the flock. You can even ask them to send you a "sample" of the egg shell. As a breeder who really cares about keepin to the standard. I personally would be impressed with anyone asking these questions. and would make sure they were happy with anything they bought from me.

Breeders have worked EXTREMELY HARD to get their pure bred chickens to breed true to the standard, for that specific color variety. Mixing colors to me is disrespecting those that dediticated their time and effort to improve the breed for the rest of us to enjoy.

A recognised variety does not make the breed or break it. It can be a true ameraucana or araucana and be a non-standard variety--that is how new varieties are developed.

Back
Top Bottom