For those of us out in the booneys......

here ye, hear ye

i just bought snow shoes so there will be NO snow in CT this year!
big_smile.png

heh...

my pantry is always full of canned goods & boxes of annie's, so no i don't go out of my way to stock extra. starting right now i could live for a few weeks easily on it all.

we already have about 6 cords of wood stacked & ready to go, another 8 or so cords getting stacked and/or split in the next month.

we have a generator that has done a stellar job of being a mouse nest home for the last 3 years.

we live on top of 'dead man's curve' in our little town and when the flakes start to fly i stay put. could be 1 inch of snow or 2 feet, it's all the same to me.

We are SO un-prepared its just not funny!
Well from S.California we are not used to needing to be prepared for anything, we've been trying to buy a little extra every time we go to town (town is an hour drive away) we do have a small grocery type store down the road, but they don't carry a huge stock of stuff.

We're probably going to be in trouble.............
sad.png

Last edited:
Gah, thank you for posting this, and the various conversations that came up from it.

This is our first winter not in a downtown (small town, but still downtown) situation. I hadn't even THOUGHT about the whole well/power/pump issue.. Eeep.

We've got the wood delivered for the wood stove (we heated with one through college so at least that I'm totally comfortable with and prepped for), and it's covered with a tarp, but Greg needs to get out there and stack it.. (Course I guess for that to happen I need to stop bugging him for chicken projects hehe... *insert guilty look here*)

We've got about 30 pounds of flour and a 20 pound bag of rice, but those are normal for this house (we bake most of our own bread, and rice is just useful to have around). Otherwise we're probably pretty pitifully set for the winter. We moved in July so didn't do a lot of gardening and haven't had a chance to do a really big shopping run for canning veggies..

Gah we have a TON to do.. I'm not sure if I'm so grateful now that I think about it..
wink.png

We began the winter build-up about a month ago. We have a generator, but in the case of a power outtage, it would most likely be tied into the well to keep all of our stuff going.

We get canned veggies from Aldi's. I freeze bread from the Bakery Thrift Shop, we can spagetti sauce, sauerkraut stuffed peppers (which ALWAYS go before winter
roll.png
), tons of stuff.

We also have chains for the pick-up and a high horsepower ATV. We just moved to a no winter maintenance road, and live an 1/8 mile back into the woods, LOL. With my son's health issues, we need to be able to get out no matter what.

Kerosene heaters, camp stoves, flashlights, everything.

We got down to 33 last night. Leaves are beginning to turn, it only got to 55 up here.

Jess

Mdbucks, sorry it was a a statement and I meant to ask a question. I work 3rd shift and when I get home in the mornings my brain does not function correctly. The question was, How do you keep all of your frozen food froze in the event of a lengthy power outage? We don't own a generator that's why when our power was out for 8 days we lost all of our frozen food. I apologize for the error in my post this morning. Laura

I was just trying to be helpful and after reading it about 3 times I thought hey there is no question here, and you were still online at the time I posted. I think they answered your question anyways.

Let me think: Wood's cut, new tarps and plenty of cable ties (west and north run fencing protection - wind, not the cold itself is the killer) in garage. Flue's clean, most veggies canned (still working through Cass' Y2k stash of canned meat- she kept 2 8qt. Mirromatics on the stove all the time during the fall of `99 - just dumped a bottle of her cubed pork into some fresh cooked limas last week - y2k turned out to be a tasty non-event here (two hundred pounds canned). Will pick up extra fuel the next time the speculators go into one of their funks and price drops a few cents. But, if it wasn't for the ice and the -30 windchills I wouldn't mind a longer winter.

Of course our buddies would beg to differ with me and prefer being prepared and sun drenched to being processed:

coldchicken.jpg

(last Dec. - ice weighted branches took out fencing between turkey and chicken run - I went out to repair it and the chooks were all inside whining and growling - didn't like slipping around - took `em some scrambled eggs and meal worms and couldn't resist the contrast) - next day we got two feet of snow - then I heard some vocalizations on the baby monitor that had to be chicken expletives.

Last edited:
Quote:
Here it is, DH built it before I was in the picture. He used to grow and sell native plants, that is why it is so big. I am just starting to populate it with some larger plants like the fig tree. There are benches next to the window where I grow the lettuces in the winter in about 2 inches of potting soil. It is pretty messy now, we don't really do much with it in the summer. You will see solar panels, but we don't use them. For winter we put in a couple of lounge chairs and a table for coffee breaks
lol.png

Misc515.jpg

Misc516.jpg

Misc517.jpg

Misc520.jpg

I was born and raised in Ohio. Believe it or not I miss the snow! We have more trouble here in AL with tornados in winter maybe ice (but haven't had that in a long time). I try to keep extra food because if they say hurricane or snow....watch out people go crazy! I worked at a Winn Dixie grocery store for 8 years and I saw first hand how crazy it gets. Even the mention of snow or ice they close schools! We have 2 generators, coleman 3 burner cookstove, oven for on the cookstove and extra groceries. With the price of groceries going up I try to stock up on things when they are on sale anyway.

Kelly
---------------
4 RIR's

Back
Top Bottom