For those of us out in the booneys......

I found this idea off google... its from a forum sounds cool
------

We've made a combination covered chicken yard & greenhouse out of the panels. Next to duct tape & staple guns cattle panels are my favorite homestead items.
smile.png

We attached the 'hoops' to the standard perimeter panels with plumbing connectors, I don't know the actual name of the part but they're a little unit with two bolts sticking out that go around the panels and there's nuts to hold them tight. Since we wanted it more than 10 ft wide which was the width to allow for the hoop to be high enough we set another set of metal T posts so now we have a double hoop setup each being 10' x 48'.

We covered the hoops with 8mm greenhouse plastic and used sand bags to hold the plastic tight to the ground which allows us to raise the plastic if it starts getting too warm inside. We covered the outside of the clear greenhouse plastic sheeting with a layer of plastic garden netting to prevent the wind from destroying the greenhouse plastic, that was held to the ground with Ushaped garden spikes.

In the winter & early spring we will use it to start plants by installing shelves high enough to allow the chickens to run underneath. During the summer we'll remove the plastic and let the chickens have it as a secure run. They're free range when I'm home but if I go away I like them to be secure from predators. I'll post some pics in my yahoo photo album and post the address here when I get a chance.
-------

Man I would like to try that one too lol...

here is the link to the thread I found...

http://www.greenspun.com/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_id=0096kf

Arklady

Last edited:
Justusnak- I think yer right about predicting a harsh winter. I remember the last one we had back in the 90s... We were out of school a lot that year. It would figure that Indiana would welcome me back with a big ole snow storm... so I'm sure we'll see one!
barnie.gif

Zenbirder- my DB would love to have a greenhouse... especially one as nice as yours!!!

Uh snow. I love it. But we hardly get any. And when they call for a big snow of 4"
tongue.png
you can not get close to the grocery stores. I think people think they will starve in 2 days if they dont have that extra loaf of bread of their counter.
big_smile.png

We have a generator and have used it alot. Mainly in the summer. When it get shot we lose electricity all the time. Its not a big thing for a whole house, we just use extension cords and plug into it what we want or need to.

I do alot of canning and my cooktop is gas so I can always cook on the burners but my oven is electric. No baking. I also have a greenhouse and heat it with our wood stove that we heat the house with. We dont keep the greenhouse 70 but it grows lettuce and tomatoes just fine.

new2chicks in Grb. You are my neighbor practically! To funny. I am maybe 15 mins from you.

We dont have any wood cut yet. Hubby would rather cut it down in the colder months and not season the wood!

I've really enjoyed reading this thread...I was wondering...for those of you that buy in bulk....what are some tips for storage and keeping things fresh/good until use?

I've really enjoyed reading this thread...I was wondering...for those of you that buy in bulk....what are some tips for storage and keeping things fresh/good until use?

Personally, I buy sugar and flower in bulk... What is not being put in the containers on the counter I put in big freezer bags and keep them in the fridge. Canned items are good for a LONG time, be sure to look at the date on the can. I had a link before my computer crashed that told you how to store items and how long they are good for.... If I find it, I will be sure to post it for you and others to see.​

We have a basement....and it typically stays between 65 and 70 degrees. This is where we store ALL of our canned foods, and paper products. Cool, dark places are great for storage!

Quote:
Hope you know a good Chimney Sweep, or you burn your stove hot all the time burning greeen/unseasoned wood is cause for creosote buildup, which if not cleaned properly could cause chiminey fire.

Last edited:
Thanks. BUt the trees are down and the wood is sliced but he cuts it up in the winter. We made an outisde house for our woodburner, piped it into our furnace and it keeps the house really warm and to clean the chimney we just use a step ladder and once a month we just clean out the pipes really good. Real easy.

Back
Top Bottom