For those of you who have dropping pans under your cages...

Appaloosa Hill Farm

Songster
10 Years
Feb 8, 2009
Southern Middle TN
What do you put in the bottom of the pans? I've used pine, aspen, and now pelleted bedding. I'm thinking of putting odor-controlling cat litter in there. The quail won't come into contact with it. I clean the pans out every 3rd day, but there's still odor. What do y'all think?
pop.gif

time to get a dog
smile.png
Ok ok, kidding
smile.png
Mine really don't stink that bad, I keep 3 of the 50 gal rubbermaid totes under my community pen, and every week (or every other if I am being lazy) I'll pull out the gloves and shovel into the garden.

Thanks to everyone who told me on this forum about the side feeding method
smile.png
It's working great!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Where can I find more info on this method? I have 14 eggs due to hatch on the 23rd or 24th and need all the info I can get beforehand
smile.png

Quote:
We have a dog, he's just too much of a food snob to well, you know.
lau.gif
I wouldn't have an issue with my guys smell, but they're on our porch right near our door. I am planning on moving them, but still would like to find a more odor-controlling bedding. I'm thinking of raising their cages, removing the pans and using hydrated lime under the cages (with fencing around it so no one gets into the hot lime).

Quote:
Where can I find more info on this method? I have 14 eggs due to hatch on the 23rd or 24th and need all the info I can get beforehand
smile.png

i put the poo in the path between the rows of gardens
smile.png
By the time the poo/nitrogen gets to the plants root system, it isn't hot anymore and it burns up all the weeds
smile.png
Weeding and fertilizing all in one shot... but I don't walk through my garden barefoot anymore
barnie.gif

I put pine shavings in mine and only clean it out once a week (dump it into the compost pile) I don't notice any smell, but then again, it's not by my back porch and I don't have all that many birds.

great googley moogly - thought this said" for those of you who drop their PANTS in your cages....

i must be more tired then i thoughts.. whew.. sorry folks...

Back
Top Bottom