For those of you who have dropping pans under your cages...

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Appaloosa Hill Farm, Jun 12, 2009.

1. What do you put in the bottom of the pans? I've used pine, aspen, and now pelleted bedding. I'm thinking of putting odor-controlling cat litter in there. The quail won't come into contact with it. I clean the pans out every 3rd day, but there's still odor. What do y'all think? [​IMG]

2. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    time to get a dog [​IMG] Ok ok, kidding [​IMG] Mine really don't stink that bad, I keep 3 of the 50 gal rubbermaid totes under my community pen, and every week (or every other if I am being lazy) I'll pull out the gloves and shovel into the garden.

Thanks to everyone who told me on this forum about the side feeding method [​IMG] It's working great!!!!!!!!

3. quiltnchik

quiltnchik Songster

May 19, 2009
    Virginia
    Quote:Where can I find more info on this method? I have 14 eggs due to hatch on the 23rd or 24th and need all the info I can get beforehand [​IMG]

4. Quote:We have a dog, he's just too much of a food snob to well, you know. [​IMG] I wouldn't have an issue with my guys smell, but they're on our porch right near our door. I am planning on moving them, but still would like to find a more odor-controlling bedding. I'm thinking of raising their cages, removing the pans and using hydrated lime under the cages (with fencing around it so no one gets into the hot lime).

5. HobokenChickenEmergency

HobokenChickenEmergency Songster

Mar 18, 2009
    Evansville
    I use newspaper in mine. It's an old rabbit hutch, so it only takes 2-3 minutes to completely change it out.

6. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    Quote:Where can I find more info on this method? I have 14 eggs due to hatch on the 23rd or 24th and need all the info I can get beforehand [​IMG]

i put the poo in the path between the rows of gardens [​IMG] By the time the poo/nitrogen gets to the plants root system, it isn't hot anymore and it burns up all the weeds [​IMG] Weeding and fertilizing all in one shot... but I don't walk through my garden barefoot anymore [​IMG]

7. rachel

rachel Songster

Apr 11, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I put pine shavings in mine and only clean it out once a week (dump it into the compost pile) I don't notice any smell, but then again, it's not by my back porch and I don't have all that many birds.

8. ohiofarmgirl

ohiofarmgirl Songster

Jan 22, 2009
    great googley moogly - thought this said" for those of you who drop their PANTS in your cages....

i must be more tired then i thoughts.. whew.. sorry folks...

9. Quote:Bahahahahahahahahahahaha! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. NancyDz

NancyDz Songster

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    Quote:What's even funnier is that you opened it!thinking that!!!!![​IMG] Do you drop your pants in your cages?[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: