For those that FF...

I keep the feeder full all the time but will occasionally throw some scratch on the ground, exspecially if it is cold outside.

Also another thing I have done to help eliminate waste because we were having that problem as well, is taking a large paint bucket and wiring the handle to the chicken wire in their run. This way they can't scratch it out as easy and it won't get tipped over. I only have 7 birds though so it probably wouldn't work if you have a large flock.

The older birds dont waste the feed like the younger birds do. I was using a hanging feeder before i switched to the wet feed in trays in the run. Since I am doing wet feed now I am considering doing a fermented feed since it wont really be any extra work.

Does feeding them wet feed run a risk of gettin sick? Ive only had chicken 2 years so I'm not entirely sure :)

I think the only danger of feeding wet feed is if it gets moldy. I dont worry to much about it right now cause it is so cold and cause they eat it within 8 or so hours. I think if you do fermented feed mold is a lot less likely to grow in it.

How many times a day do you feed your chickens and if you only feed once a day do you do it morning or night? And do you also keep out dry food?

In the warm months of good forage, I feed it in the evening..once a day. In the winter time, I feed it in the morning and still just once a day. I don't offer any alternative to the FF...no dry feeds.

Back
Top Bottom