for those that use deep litter method...please advise me

So lemme get this straight, this dlm is basically when you don't clean your coop? I'm confused, how is this a good thing? I also think maybe that's what the previous tenants of this farm were doing in our coop. The crap on the floor was built up almost 2'. It took me a LOT of sweat and a mild respiratory infection to clean it all out. Very disgusting! I just scoop the shavings that are in the common area and mix it around with the shavings that are piled up unused underneath the nest box and in corners. I just add more shavings as needed. No pressure washing blow drying and virkon here and it's not even smelly in there.

So lemme get this straight, this dlm is basically when you don't clean your coop? I'm confused, how is this a good thing? I also think maybe that's what the previous tenants of this farm were doing in our coop. The crap on the floor was built up almost 2'. It took me a LOT of sweat and a mild respiratory infection to clean it all out. Very disgusting! I just scoop the shavings that are in the common area and mix it around with the shavings that are piled up unused underneath the nest box and in corners. I just add more shavings as needed. No pressure washing blow drying and virkon here and it's not even smelly in there.

Maybe you are confused because you haven't read thoroughly. We don't let "crap build up", we encourage it to bind with carbonaceous material so that it breaks down into a different thing altogether...no longer crap, but a well balanced mulch and then, finally to almost a soil like consistency. Beneficial insects and bacteria move in to feed upon the rich nutrients in this composted litter, breaking it down even further and turning it into something that no longer resembles "crap" at all but much like the mulch you buy to put on your gardens.

The presence of beneficial insects and bacteria can prevent the overgrowth of parasites and more harmful bacteria, so it can make your coop a healthier place for chicken life.

In response to # 127 & 129 posts
I see that the DE is a problem, and I see how it would stop the composting. Makes good sense.
I was really wondering how the compost harvest would work and then how to leaving a starter litter in the pen. You explain it will.
I got the idea now thank you very much for the DLM, it is the key.

hmm, I think I might try this. I currently use sand. Right now there is 2" or so on the floor. It got cold the other night so I threw in a bunch of pine shavings for warmth.

Can I just go from here and put more shavings in? I can't imagine the sand underneath hurting anything.

this sounds easier than scooping sand every day and not being able to get the small pieces scooped out easily.

oops! I see this is old. Well, anyhow - if I do this will my walls be ok? My coop is 4x5 wood. I poly'd the floor but not the walls.

Last edited:
So if it does not truly compost being 4ft off the ground do you think it would cause health problems with the chickens?
Would they just be sleeping in their own poo without an of the good effects that the
DLM offers?

Or would it still work I would just need to clean it say 3 times a year instead of 1?

I will just give it a try and see what happens. If it does not compost the way that I want it to I am sure
that there is something that I can add to aid in that effort.
You can sprinkle in some good garden soil (nothing with artificial fertilizers) to help your DLM inside your elevated coop get inoculated with the soil's beneficial microbes.

If you keep the bottom of the coop open, then what does the nesting box situation look like? I'm picturing hardware cloth with some roosts attached to hold it in place, but what about their egg laying nests?

Do any of yall have pics?

Michigan winters are cold. First year with Hens here.
It's on the dirt/ ground. Are the pine shavings from pet store, feed and grain?. Can they be freshy ground pine shavings from a tree service?
How many inches of shavings is best for Grand Rapids winters? I really appreciate this board!

Back
Top Bottom