For those who have done it both ways: Hatchet vs. Knife

Quote:
We prepare our birds whole that is why we don't chop the heads off.

My wife is barely a hundred pounds she can hold any chicken by the feet and head slice the throat, there may be some flappin of the wings but it is over in seconds, no flopping around. She doesn't need any gadgets to help her do the task.

Last edited:
What is a zip tie?

I was thinking of sewing a spandex tube to restrain the wings, rolling it on like pantyhose.

Quote:
If you know what your doing they will just flap their wings for seconds not in any way causing any damage to you, flapping of the wings are not a problem, seems like to much trouble , get it done quick and don't put the chicken thru some unnecessary processes.

Last edited:
Hi Ninjapoodles. We have used both methods. With the chopping block you know with certainty the moment of death. It's more difficult with the artery cutting method because they just seem calm and aware...until they aren't anymore and the death throws come. My husband much prefers the artery cutting method. I know you're familiar with my blog, but I did write up a four part series on how we processed our birds last month if you're interested in seeing it.

someone showed me how to do it with a cone and knife through the top of mouth and i thought it was an ok way of doing it till my gramp came over chopped the head right off and let it just bleed out i was amazed at how easy the ol chopping block method worked no more hanging chickens for me:)

Hi ninjapoodles -

Thank you for starting this thread and Thanks to everyone who shared their methods and experiences.

Just last evening, DH asked if I had come across a thread asking just your question.

We are both new at raising chickens and I read how to clean a chicken after the deed was done, but did not see anything about how to do the deed.

I'll let DH figure out our method. I just don't want to see the "flopping" around or hear the scared chicken screams I heard as a child on culling day.

Thanks again for everyone sharing the wealth of knowledge on the subject.

We always just duct taped the wings firmly down at their sides then chop there heads off and hang 'em upside down from a tree branch. Thats the way I was taught to do it when I was just a little boy, and it works fine.

Thanks again, everyone--this is all really helping us. I think we're going to have a "practice" run this weekend.

Anyone who is reading this thread--I highly recommend checking out farm_mom's blog series on processing chickens that she mentions in the post above. It is REALLY excellent.

Back
Top Bottom