? for those who have ordered from My Pet Chicken before

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by labhaven, Oct 16, 2009.

1. labhaven

labhaven Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Good Evening :)

I ordered 12 chicks from MPC. 1 passed in transit and 1 passed before it was a week old. The remaining 10 are very healthy. I have 6 australorps, 1 golden and 1 silver laced wyandottes, and 2 white plymouth rocks. All were supposed to be standards and not bantams. One of the white plymouth rocks is literally half the size of the rest of the chickens. They will all be 6 weeks old on Monday. Do you think they would have substituted a bantam or would this chicken be a runt? She eats/drinks normal and scratches around the coop like the rest. We've named her Itty Bitty :)

Thanks!

2. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I think it would probably be a runt, but you really will just have to wait til they are grown to know for sure.
    I had a runt and it caught up at about 5 months.

3. Mickey Birt

Mickey Birt New Egg

Oct 8, 2009
    Florida
    We bought babies from there as well, and lost 2 within days. They were all the breeds we expected, though. One of the babies that died arrived with a broken toe, the other just died out of the blue after looking normal the day before. All the others are now about 6 months old and cute as can be. Also, we ordered all females, ended up with 2 roosters out of what was supposed to be 12 hens. One we found a new home for and the other now lives with my dad out in the country. I live in the suburbs, so no crowing allowed. Makes it easier to have chickens just as pets, though- no babies! They reimbursed us for the 2 that died, but not for the 2 that were male as the guarantee on runs of one sex isn't 100%. I'd say we were satisfied.

Mickey-

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Hmmm...maybe you should post pics of a few of them (including runt). Others might recognize the difference???

5. danab

danab Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2009
    So Cal
    MPC messed up an order my neighbor placed. He ordered 8 chicks in total, all standard size. Instead of 2 standard BO's, he received 2 bantam Buff Brahams. So not only did they get the breed wrong, they sent bantams when only standards were ordered. I am raising his 8, since his wife did not want all that poo in her backyard. They are all very healthy and doing great at about 12 weeks old. This one order also was for 2 Australorps, 2 Jersey Giants, and 2 Barrred Rock. I cannot tell if the Australorps and Jersey Giants are really what we got. They look exactly alike to me at this stage. But this is my first flock of chickens, so I do not know what they should look like.

6. Darlasmum

Darlasmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2009
    La Crescenta, CA
    I rec'd a shipment from MPC in July. I got exactly what I ordered and all are well and happy.[​IMG]

7. suburbanminifarm

suburbanminifarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    N.San Diego County
    I had a great experience with MPC. Fabulous customer service ladies, went above and beyond, and all chicks healthy and happy and what I ordered. [​IMG]

8. Amethyste

Amethyste For Love of Boo...

MPC did a great job for us...we ordered 9 pullets, and all arrived alive. We lost one tho, she just didnt ship well [​IMG] sadly it happens. Best packing I ever saw for chicks tho!!

MPC replaced the amt of the chick within 3 hours...I was shocked. Nice nice people there!! The chicks < the other 8> were fat and sassy and looked like little golf-balls with feet.

We did end up having to put one down at 7.5 weeks tho, due to a rapidly progressing crossbeak and major loss of weight/other issues. We think there was a congenital problem that rapidly presented itself...she was dropping fast so we decided was best to put her down with all the issues.

Other than those problems...we love MPC and will order again.

9. Ladyhawke1

Ladyhawke1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:The feet of Jersey Giants are yellow on the bottom. [​IMG]

10. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I got some chicks locally that were a week old at the time. They were all the same size then, but as time has gone on, three have grown while the fourth has grown at his/her own rate. That chick is now half the size of the others but since the age is the same, the development is the same so it just looks like a miniature of the others. Its actually very cute. But the lady I got them from did not even have any bantams so I know it is a standard - just a runt - so it CAN happen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by