For those who have welsummers.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by RooptyDoo, Feb 11, 2009.

1. RooptyDoo

RooptyDoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Illinois
    I am thinking about getting a welsummer rooster. Does anyone know if they tend to be agressive or not?

2. Buster

Buster Back to Work

I have a 5 month old cockerel and he's not shown any signs of aggression yet, but he's not mature yet either.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

My hens are very sweet and not hard on their flockmates. The cockerels of that group were sold, but at the time, they were quite easygoing.

4. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    We had one that was awesome to almost all the hens.... Except for the one in love with DH. He beat her up pretty badly. She would try to drive him away from the other hens and I guess he just got tired of it. He was great with people, even kids. He was great with the other hens.

But we found him a new home, DH insisted. He was awfully upset over 'his' hen getting beaten up.

5. amazondoc

amazondoc Cracked Egghead

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    Both sexes seem to be quite reasonable. I like the breed a lot!

6. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

The roo I had was about 3 years old when I sold him. He was a big sweety and never showed aggression toward us or any of our other chickens.

7. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    My roo is only 4 months old, but he's always been laid back & hopefully will stay that way.

8. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I have one but he is a hatchery bird.
    The hens are a mite skittish but the roo has turned out to be obnoxious. He hates DH and goes after him. DH grabs him up and carries him around upside down and always has since he started this last fall. He has flown at my legs a few times. No amount of carrying or hanging him upside down has worked with him. He is an evil roo that is bound for our stew pot. He is also the low roo in our free ranging flock. I don't care for his conformation either. He is 10 months old and has been doing this for about 4 months. Out of over 130 birds he is the only evil one we have.

9. vicki2x2

vicki2x2 Super Chick

Feb 9, 2008
    Central Michigan
    The hatchery roo I had turned quite aggressive. We had a pair from a hatchery, the rest we got were from breeders. It started with the feed bucket, he would attack it when ever I was carrying it. Then it turned to me or anyone else. Just the dance and a little warning, when he started coming up behind and attacking, even after being held repeatedly, being kicked away, and everything else we could think of, he became stew. We replaced him with a breeder roo and he has been fine, no problems at all. Not sure if it was the hatchery/breeder thing, or just the personality of the bird, but I will not put up with a mean rooster. Oh, both roo's were good to their girls, no rough treatment.

10. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    The welsummers I have are really nice birds. I have been putting udder balm on the rooster all winter and I think he enjoys it. Real calm

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by