for those who let their dogs inside, any tips on cleaning muddy paws?

NewChickenMom

Songster
11 Years
May 16, 2008
Omaha, NE
i'm using the good ole towel method to clean their muddy paws now and it bugs me because i know theres still mud and God knows what on their feet after toweling.

anyone have any good, quick tips on cleaning paws?

i have a dobie, lab, 2 bostons and a english bulldog that go outside

You can try dipping their feet in a mug of water before you towel them- if they'll let you. Our dachshund would let me scrub her feet with a brush if I wanted, but our Rottie/Aussie mix cries everytime she thinks I'm going to wipe her feet!

Good luck!

Last edited:
If you don't want to dip their feet in a bucket of water, then maybe try a spray bottle with a little old fashioned listerine in it. I use it on my Irish setters to was their "feathering" when they come in after a romp in the muddy back yard. Just really dilute the listerine with water and keep a spray bottle and towel by the back door, it will help keep them clean and it doesn't harm them if they lick their feet.

I'm not willing to spend too much time cleaning ours, but they get the furniture, too, so I have to do something:

I use a damp towel (they like the warm sudzy water- feels good) and then a dry towel to finish it. Our mud room is also the laundry room, so it just goes into the machine at the end of the day.

We have a medium sized German Shep. and her paws get terrible muddy on wet days. We've (somehow) taught her to do at least three or four circles before coming inside for a paw wipe down (if it's still necessary). Our towels and baby wipes are usually sacraficed.

Good luck!

You know, I found this thing online that looked SO awesome, but I don't remember for the LIFE of me where I found it. I never bought it, DH thought it was a ridiculous idea. I wish I would have, because I do think it would work.

It was called The Paw Plunger or something like that. It looked like a large plastic jug/mug for water or coffee, with a handle on the side. Inside, it had something that sort of scrubbed when you plunged the paw in - I'm guessing it was something like the pouf that I use in the shower with shower gel?? Man, I think that thing would work. Wish I could find it again....

AHA! I was RIGHT! Here it is!! Now I remember the OTHER reason I didn't get it...it's quite expensive!

http://www.inthecompanyofdogs.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=D64039&srccode=NXBDGO&kwsrch=nonbrand

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom