For those who lock up their birds EVERY NIGHT:

Thanks everyone for your participation. I actually forgot for a few days that I made this thread-or I would have responded sooner.

VERY ironic...tonight I went to close up everyone and actually did do a head-count, as, yes, I will admit, it is benificial. I saw one of my roosters was not roosting with his hen, which was very odd. I found him on the bottom of the coop. He was long gone.
sad.png
We're still not sure how he died, but I do know if I didn't know to look for him, I might have come to a nastier surprise in the morning. He was a good boy.
hugs.gif
We're still in a little shock here.

FWIW, we have NEVER lost a bird from not doing a head-count.

yup I have 3 that up until the blizzard the other night roost in a tree 20ft up.And I'm not climbing the tree to get them. If your not in the coop when I close the door you take your chances. They are pretty safe in that tree.

I have an enclosed yard that they stay in all day - so they don't get far - but every night I close the door on their roosting area - I do a head count - but only have 13 birds - so it's not too bad.

I do have one golden comet that is always outside in the yard no matter how late I get out there to close up - the rest are on the roost. If she's lucky and I throw out scraps that day - she gets first crack at them before going to roost... if not - i give her some scratch - it's good for my ego to have her be so dedicated... lol

I lock up every night now. I had not for years but had a dog come though and just kill 22 chickens within a hour. Was out there at 5 am everyone was fine. Went back out at 6am 22 birds dead all over the pasture and the neighbors pasture too. Looked like grab and crunch. Neighbor saw a pitbull and a terrier going down the road that morning. I told the neighbors because they have sheep next door But dogs never returned.
But I have one BCM rooster that roosts on the coop. He is teaching the girls to join him now. I figure they are just fair game to who ever is out there. Stupid bird. During the rain he sits right out in it Looks like a downed rat. He is going to freeze his a== off this week. we are suppose to get frozed the next few days here in California.

I have too many chickens to do a head count. I have to lock up every night, whether I feel like it or not, its automatic.

I have found several hens roosting in a tree in the morning.
The next evening I watch them to see if they are going to roost in the tree again. If they do, I chase them out of the tree and they run to the coop and usually never sleep outside again.
Sometimes a old hen will hide somewhere and if she is unlucky it is the end of the road for her. The Raccoon will find her.

I used to do head counts. When I had 17 chickens. Now I have...uh....lots more. I go out to lock up the chickens after dark. If they don't make it in, they stay outside. Survival of the fittest. Guess what......they all make it in
wink.png

I have missed a few here and there. Had a neighbor run over when I got home one night to let me know I had a chicken outside the fence. Of course he "tried to catch it" and spooked it into the back brush area. I looked with a flashlight but never saw her. Guess what, next morning she was back in the fence at the feeder.

I will sometimes look for "certain birds" if I think they may miss night lockup for whatever reason. Usually newly reintroduced broodies or teenagers being integrated. But its sink or swim here. The chickens figure it out quick after a night or two locked out....then they are the first ones in
wink.png

I am so glad that we all have had these experiences. I know my heart drops to my toes when I forget. After the dog event, I really don't like to wait till after dark which is around 4:45 right now. My girls will get on a gate that is attached close to a deer fence. They don't have room to even turn around. Usually though the four make it to the coop before I get to them of late. Thanks for the laughs and the affirmations.

most nights i do a head count but not always
hide.gif
- i have been bc i was checking for a broody - and it is her 2nd nite on the nest
celebrate.gif

hugs.gif
to the OP : sorry to here about your roo
hugs.gif
glad you did find him tonight though and not in the morning
sickbyc.gif

Back
Top Bottom