Forage Garden?

ldrchickens

Songster
Jul 1, 2018
Oklahoma
My Coop
My Coop
Has anybody planted a forage garden for their flock? We have this large flower bed in our front yard thats not being used. I want to plant some things that are hardy and can with stand foraging! Grasses, weeds, greens, herbs,etc. I know they could just forage around my yard but being in Oklahoma everything dies in the summer from no water so it would be more economical to water a 10 by 10 space then a whole yard. TIA

Try putting chicken wire over the area so it is raised off the ground a bit so they can peck at the green stuff as it grows through but not get at the roots. Let if get established so they don't pull it up.

There are all kinds of things you could plant but in Oklahoma I'd suggest Bermuda grass. It should grow really well and always come back from the roots. I like going native instead of imports.

Try putting chicken wire over the area so it is raised off the ground a bit so they can peck at the green stuff as it grows through but not get at the roots. Let if get established so they don't pull it up.

There are all kinds of things you could plant but in Oklahoma I'd suggest Bermuda grass. It should grow really well and always come back from the roots. I like going native instead of imports.
We have bermuda grass everywhere! last year i let the girls in the garden to eat it out!

Here are my seeds for planting. I have an area 10' x 20' I will fence and put down some chicken wire to protect the plants.
Parslee, mesclun, soybean, collards, broccoli, cauliflower, okra, beet, swiss chard, cabbage, lettuce, raddish, peas, beans. No plants should put on any fruit as they will get eaten down before then.

Are there any of these plants I shouldn't plant? I have researched as well as I can, but a lot of information is no available.

I planted turnips and rape in my garden after I pulled everything in October. I leave my fence up until about January, taking cuttings of the turnip greens and rape to the chickens and rabbits. Then I take down the fence and let them have what is left around 1st of Feb.
I grow soybeans on my farm. My chickens will range into the field eating bugs, snipping the small leaves, etc. But for the most part. they leave the actual soybean alone.

Back
Top Bottom