Forage Garden?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ldrchickens, Feb 1, 2019.

1. ldrchickens

ldrchickens Songster

Jul 1, 2018
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Has anybody planted a forage garden for their flock? We have this large flower bed in our front yard thats not being used. I want to plant some things that are hardy and can with stand foraging! Grasses, weeds, greens, herbs,etc. I know they could just forage around my yard but being in Oklahoma everything dies in the summer from no water so it would be more economical to water a 10 by 10 space then a whole yard. TIA

Ducksandchickens likes this.
  2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Free Ranging

Feb 2, 2009
    Southeast Louisiana
    Try putting chicken wire over the area so it is raised off the ground a bit so they can peck at the green stuff as it grows through but not get at the roots. Let if get established so they don't pull it up.

There are all kinds of things you could plant but in Oklahoma I'd suggest Bermuda grass. It should grow really well and always come back from the roots. I like going native instead of imports.

3. ldrchickens

ldrchickens Songster

Jul 1, 2018
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    We have bermuda grass everywhere! last year i let the girls in the garden to eat it out!

Ducksandchickens likes this.
  4. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

I would do as already suggested (cage a bed so the hens can eat it but not dig it out) but I would plant things high in nutrition.

So spinach would be great but maybe not for your summer heat.

ldrchickens and Ducksandchickens like this.
  5. Vocjuved

Vocjuved Chirping

Apr 14, 2014
    Can you plant arugula in a forage garden, or is that a bad plant for chickens?

ldrchickens and Ducksandchickens like this.
  6. Alaskan

Arugula would be great.

ldrchickens likes this.
  7. Vocjuved

Vocjuved Chirping

Apr 14, 2014
    Here are my seeds for planting. I have an area 10' x 20' I will fence and put down some chicken wire to protect the plants.
    Parslee, mesclun, soybean, collards, broccoli, cauliflower, okra, beet, swiss chard, cabbage, lettuce, raddish, peas, beans. No plants should put on any fruit as they will get eaten down before then.

Are there any of these plants I shouldn't plant? I have researched as well as I can, but a lot of information is no available.

ldrchickens likes this.
  8. Alaskan

I know all of those are good... except

I know nothing about the edibility of the soybean plant.

ldrchickens likes this.
  9. pintail_drake2004

pintail_drake2004 Songster

Jun 12, 2017
    IL
    I planted turnips and rape in my garden after I pulled everything in October. I leave my fence up until about January, taking cuttings of the turnip greens and rape to the chickens and rabbits. Then I take down the fence and let them have what is left around 1st of Feb.
    I grow soybeans on my farm. My chickens will range into the field eating bugs, snipping the small leaves, etc. But for the most part. they leave the actual soybean alone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: